Get Rag to NV 4500 Swap First Gen

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Get Rag to NV 4500 Swap First Gen

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi All

After reading some old posts on doing the swap I wanted to make sure I got this right. It sounds like I do not have to change flywheel, clutch, engine adapter and starter. I know that my 1st gen thin engine adapter bolts up to the bellhouseing that came with the NV4500. I also know that the input shaft of the NV 4500 fits into the clutch disk from the getrag. I know that the hydraulic line length isn't quit long enough. I've got a 2nd gen hydraulic clutch setup with the longer line. There seems to be two different diameters on the 2nd gen slave cylinder from reading the old posts. If the slave I got is the same diameter as the old one am I good to go? Also can the longer length of the new trans be accommodated by making the slots longer in the rear trans mount like in the 47rh swaps or am I going to be drilling the frame to move the whole assembly back? ( I have had the pleasure of doing that on a prior 727 to getrag install on another truck) I know that my drive shaft lengths are going to be wrong because I'm building a crew cab diesel which puts a 37 in stretch in a regular cab frame. I assume the front drive shaft will have to be made longer. Comments?

I just remembered that I might be getting a 180 hp P pump motor for this build. It is not going to have the thicker engine adapter. If the thin adapter works on a 1st gen can I use it on the P pump motor?
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Get Rag to NV 4500 Swap First Gen

Postby Philip » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:06 pm

You need a 2ng gen engine adapter. The input shaft is longer on a 4500. The deeper 2nd gen engine adapter takes care of that problem. You will need a 2nd gen starter if you use that adapter.

The other option is a advanced adapters conversion bell housing for the 4500 swap. That one uses the 1st gen starter.

I can't say on the cross member. I haven't done a 4500 swap into a 1st gen. I don't like eather 5 spd. I swapped a 6 spd into mine.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:27 am

Dodge Dually Nut wrote:Hi All

After reading some old posts on doing the swap I wanted to make sure I got this right. It sounds like I do not have to change flywheel, clutch, engine adapter and starter.

Like Philip said, you'll have to swap adapter plates and starter. You'll have to trim the left upper frame rail lip to accommodate the 2nd gen starter as the location is a little different. The rest can be retained.

Dodge Dually Nut wrote:I know that the hydraulic line length isn't quit long enough. I've got a 2nd gen hydraulic clutch setup with the longer line. There seems to be two different diameters on the 2nd gen slave cylinder from reading the old posts. If the slave I got is the same diameter as the old one am I good to go?

You can make the 1st gen hydraulic setup work, you just have to turn the slave cylinder around. The hard line doesn't like it, but it'll work. I used 1st gen hydraulics on my NV swap. I covered the line just so it wouldn't rub on the firewall.

Dodge Dually Nut wrote:Also can the longer length of the new trans be accommodated by making the slots longer in the rear trans mount like in the 47rh swaps or am I going to be drilling the frame to move the whole assembly back?

The easiest way to tell is when you get the transmission installed and supported, you can put the cross member in place without the mount and see where you need to make any adjustments. I went from a 727 to NV, I used a 3"x3" square tubing to make up the distance between the lower transmission mount plate that attaches to the cross member and the bottom of the transmission itself.

Dodge Dually Nut wrote:I know that my drive shaft lengths are going to be wrong because I'm building a crew cab diesel which puts a 37 in stretch in a regular cab frame. I assume the front drive shaft will have to be made longer. Comments?

The rear will obviously be longer, but the front will be about 1" longer. You may be able to reuse the front driveshaft without it being lengthened, but until you install the old one to see where you are at, you aren't going to know for sure.

Dodge Dually Nut wrote:I just remembered that I might be getting a 180 hp P pump motor for this build. It is not going to have the thicker engine adapter. If the thin adapter works on a 1st gen can I use it on the P pump motor?

If you are going to use the P pump engine, then hold off on the block plate and all that until you install that engine unless you are going to install it at a later date.

Here are some pictures of when I installed the NV in my 91...

In this picture you can see the frame rail cut that had to be made for starter clearance.

3"x3" tubing under the NV, above the transmission mount. You can also see that I had to move the cross member back one hole.

Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby Dodge Dually Nut » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:10 pm

Thanks. I've got the longer engine adapter and a starter. I 'm just finishing a 47rh conversion in my snow plow truck so I'm familiar with the frame mod for the starter. Ok the adapter needs to be switched. What about the flywheel and clutch?
Dodge Dually Nut
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission