727, 3.07, and 35" ???

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

727, 3.07, and 35" ???

Postby oldestof11 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:34 pm

I was wondering how many of you guys have a 33" or 35" tire and the 3.07 rear? I have a project and am landing a deal on a 3.07 rear and tranny. How does it hold to sled pulling? Street-able? How would a 4.10's and 35" do with a 3spd?

Also, what kind of upgrades are for the 727?

This is going into a 87 Suburban 2wd and it is gonna do some pioneering on 2wd diesel sled pulling. But I want it to still be street-able.

Stay tuned for more project glimpses

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby oldcool90 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Remember my truck that is the same set up,727, 307,and 35"s.Street this setup works fine and gives you a better highway speed :) Pullin a sled i dont think the tranny would like that.I Pull a bobcat and cars with my from time to time no problems.I have drag raced it here at terre haute 1/8 mile stock non i/c pump turned up best time 10.36 76 mph.
1992 reg cab W-350 5sp 12cm ex housing,pod's,3200rpm gov,and piston lift pump
oldcool90
fuel screw!!!!

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:57 am

TCI sells all the parts to make your diesel 727 into one of their "STREET FIGHTER" transmissions, they charge ALOT more for the parts cause it says diesel on them but they are good, my biggest thing is that you have to send them YOUR tranny if you want to buy a compelte unit from them........its stupid, im just going to get all the parts, tear mine down one weekend and throw it back together, i would recommend the 9 extra quart pan from Jegs, Transgo shift kit, and if your going to be sled pulling ALOT get the full manual valvebody.....

my 2wd will be pulling the sled also, i would recommend a body that is ALOT lighter than suburban, like any regular cab long bed 2wd 3/4 ton truck, preferably chevy or dodge cause of the ford Twin I-beam problem of them drooping horribly, my truck weighs 5300 with me in it, race/pull weight it weighs a little over 5K with me in it, in a 8k class that means i can run 2800-2900 pounds behind the rear axle........definately pull the front wheels......
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:52 am

Logan, wouldn't you want the weight in front of the wheels? I thought you want the front on the ground, just barely. Most of the weight on the rear axle, not behind?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 pm

in the real world you would want the front tires to hover about 6 inches off the ground, my friend kurt is running about the same setup in his extended cab duramax and is having great results, suspension height blocked at a 31 inch hitch height, on a 2wd you dont want the hight of your hitch point above your hitch like some 4x4 guys do to get height, you want a 0-2" drop hitch and the suspension blocked as solid as possible.........plus with the weight behind the axle it gives it a cantilever effect and makes the truck think the weight weights more........plus ill be running four 31x11.50x16 Super Swamper LTB's in a dually setup on the rear........i wish i could find a set of wider offset and width dually wheels so i could run four 31x12.50x16 Swamper Boggers across the back.......

here is Kurts run.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_T5cKKIqg
THEY PUT THEM ON A PLANE TO SOME STRANGE AND FOREIGN LAND, THEY SAID GOODBYE TO MOM AND DAD AND HELLO TO UNCLE SAM, THEY NEVER THOUGHT THE DAY WOULD COME WHEN THEY MIGHT HAVE TO KILL A MAN, THEY DID NOT SLEEP A WINK THAT NIGHT BUT THEY WON FOR UNCLE SAM
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:52 pm

I have been talking to Kurt (duramaxin14) @ CompD and he said it shouldn't make a difference but might just actually help. You see in this Burb the 32 gallon fuel tank is behind the rear axle, the rear AC is behind the axle, about as long as a ext cab long bed truck, and with it being a 1500, it is a little light than a 3/4 ton. Now for it being doing pulls a lot, I am thinking no more than 10 a year, the rest of it will be a DD.

Pete, in 2wd pulling, you want as much wait on the rear axle to get the best grip as 100% of your power is going to the rear, no splitting it between the front and rear axle.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:53 pm

Dang it logan, ya beat me to it :lol:
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:17 pm

I am good aint I.........yeah Kurt runs the same places i plan on running, i think Kurt is getting out of it though cause he keeps breaking sadly.........my truck is a regular cab long bed, do plan on using a different axle though, that rear wont handle the torque of the cummins......
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Naw, he says he's getting a mini-spool and 4.10's. I talked to him over the phone last wednesday.
Jon
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:38 pm

lol he's gonna hate that mini spool on the street, we got a truck pull coming up next weekend in Bradenton, i cant wait to get mine going, should be interesting......
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:04 pm

His pull looked about perfect! Front wheel was about 3-4 inches off the ground. 2wd truck is about like tractor pulling, front is only for steering a little. :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 pm

i want to get mine about 12 inches off the ground, why??? just because......
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:32 pm

because you can

why rob a bank, because you can and the money of course
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby LOGANSTANFORTH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:48 pm

yep, just because i want too, we're there for the fans and i want to put on a show........
LOGANSTANFORTH
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:14 pm

I didn't put on much of a show the last time I pulled with my gasser. When you loan out your carb make sure it doesn't come back with the secondaries siezed up. Even a built 440 won't pull a sled on the front side of the carb. :roll: I guess I should have been in the Cummins. :grin:
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Transmission