Wounded NP205

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Wounded NP205

Postby mhuppertz » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:17 pm

Anyone attempted repair on their NP205? Mine is making a very unhappy noise under (any) load in every gear, and it only goes away if I put her in 4-HI with the hubs locked.. :cry:
mhuppertz

Postby mhuppertz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Now I'm not sure if it's the T-Case or the trans. When I put side pressure on the shifter in 5th the noise get's louder. I can't tell if it's the output shaft bearing on the trans or input bearing on the T-Case. I don't have a spare vehicle right now, and it hasn't been above freezing in weeks :).
I gotta find an old Duster or something to spell Big Red.
mhuppertz

Postby cummins king » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:53 pm

does it vibrate badly as you go down the road
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 pm

cummins king wrote:does it vibrate badly as you go down the road

No vibration, just a rattly thunk, like a tooth is missing or a bearing has a bad spot.
mhuppertz

Postby nooblet » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:19 pm

NP205s are very simple. With parts in hand you can rebuild one in a few hours.

When mine went to crap it rattled really bad. Also a piece of something broke off inside the case and would catch my front output. The front d-shaft would pop a half a turn or so every once and a while.

What happens when you put the tcase in neutral and shift the tranny through gears?

Also, I know nothing about NV4500's, but could this be a 5th nut gear possibly? Did you fix that?

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:12 am

Thanks for the reply.
I'll try putting the NP205 in neutral and shifting through the gears, but it doesn't make any noise when I take my foot off the gas. Also it hardly does it when I first take off in the morning when the oil is cold.

I did tack the 5th gear nut on the output shaft recently.
mhuppertz

Postby cummins king » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:04 pm

http://www.okcnetworks.com/bronco/205/np1.htm

look what i found you dont tell me iv never done anything for you lol :jumpsmile: :lol: :roll:
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:11 pm

cummins king wrote:http://www.okcnetworks.com/bronco/205/np1.htm
look what i found you dont tell me iv never done anything for you lol :jumpsmile: :lol: :roll:

Don't you rock! Thanks. I downloaded all the photos (screen grabs) and am building a document with the photos embedded.
Thanks again,
Mark
mhuppertz

Toronado

Postby mhuppertz » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, something let go today, and the truck was sounding like Ber-roid was hitting my drive train with a metal bar. I limped to my friends shop and we put it up on jack stands, turned out I lost the ring and pinion, not the t-case or trans after all.[redface] So much for my diagnostic skills. Before it totally grenaded I could put side pressure on the shifter then the noise would get really loud, so I started thinking it might be the output bearing on the trans.... [duhhh]
We pulled the rear driveshaft and I drove it home Toronado style (loads or torque steer).
Anyway, I am greatly releaved that it wasn't a gear box after all. If the carrier is destroyed I'm going for a Detroit Locker this time. I'm sick of clutches burning up my dif....
Gotta go rob a bank now, see yall....[duhhh]
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Doesn't that really suck how sound will telegraph thru the truck? I thought I had a bad T-case on my '75 way back when. Had a serious clunk when I went from foward to reverse. U-joints were good, didn't see anything wrong. Went to pull the back wheel and found the nuts were about to fall off and the holes were almost twice as long as they were high! :oops:
Oh, by the way, I didn't find anything wrong with the T-case either. ;)
Hope you get her fixed!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:38 am

Think long and hard before you put a locker in your rear. I'm locked front and rear and I hate the rear locker. Its a pita to drive around town with that thing. It puts a lot of extra wear on your tires also.

Hopefully your carrier isn't trashed though. Good luck!

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:06 am

nooblet wrote:Think long and hard before you put a locker in your rear. I'm locked front and rear and I hate the rear locker. Its a pita to drive around town with that thing. It puts a lot of extra wear on your tires also.
Hopefully your carrier isn't trashed though. Good luck!
Chris

Thanks for the info. When you say pain in the neck, what do you mean?
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:43 am

Friend of mine had a locker. He said it's loud when it ratchets thru a turn, and if you get on the throttle 1/2 way thru, the locker locks and the truck goes straight! :shock:
Of course, then you can power steer thru the turns! ;) :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby mhuppertz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:55 am

PToombs wrote:Friend of mine had a locker. He said it's loud when it ratchets thru a turn, and if you get on the throttle 1/2 way thru, the locker locks and the truck goes straight! :shock:
Of course, then you can power steer thru the turns! ;) :lol:

To keep thing in context, a first gen 4x4 is a crust beast anyway right? I can put up with some noise, just as long as it's not bone jarring.
mhuppertz

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 am

Good point! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Transmission