Beagle1, and others...727 mods

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Beagle1, and others...727 mods

Postby oldestof11 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:35 pm

What should I do to upgrade a 727 tranny other than a shift kit to handle lots of abuse from pulling while still being drivable? I do NOT want a ratcheting shifter but want to be able to select 2nd by putting the gear selector in number 2. Now will there be a shift kit where you can select 1, move up to 2, up again to 3, and there still be a drive?

Also, who to go to for a nice TC? I heard Goerends (sp?) make a nice one and so does Suncoast but I need something under $1000+shipping. Know anybody?

Thanks!

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:07 am

There's a whole lot of stuff that can be done to upgrade a transmission, most of which is well over my head.

300 to 400 HP and a transmission can use things like aftermarket bands, aftermarket clutches and steels (and more of them than they put in stock), band struts and high-ratio servo levers.

For higher performance (500 HP+) you are looking at steel planataries, aftermarket or billet drums, billet shafts and even more clutches.

Here's a really unorganized webpage that sells a lot of individual transmission performance pieces.

Valve bodies can be modified by yourself with a shift kit, or they can be bought complete.

The only way to change the shift pattern on the transmission is to get a reverse manual, which goes P-R-N-1-2-3; anything else and you are going have the standard P-R-N-3-2-1.

A ratchet shifter is just a shifter that mounts on the floor and is built so you push forward to go up a gear, down to go down a gear. It doesn't require any modification of the transmission itself.

There are a lot of aftermarket gate shifters that don't ratchet but make it very hard to miss shifts.

There's a handful of places that sell convertors; Goerend's, DTT, Suncoast are probably the most popular. ATS's popularity has been slipping, and they have the most expensive unit by far. Hughes and TCI both make entry-level units. And there are a ton of smaller companies out there that make what are probably just-as-good products but don't have the market share.

$1000 shipped can get you anybody's non-lock-up torque convertor, which is what you need; they run in the $600-800 range, about $600 cheaper than lock-up ones.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby JQmile » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:27 pm

I was reading the instructions on transgo's kit today, and they said both 1st and second will hold those gears no matter what until you shift out. Don't know if that's what you are looking for......Goerend made me a sweet converter for $600 w/o shipping, and he stands by his stuff.
1989 D250 2wd. Scheid 14mm VE pump and 5x25's, J&H Performance 47RH trans with Suncoast manual valvebody, dual wastegates, 62/65/14 S300, NX Dual Stage nitrous, 487 on fuel, 972 on the jug.
JQmile
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:53 pm

So a Trans-go shift kit lets you do 2nd-gear starts?

I thought that was manual-valve-body-only territory.
They do make manual valve bodies that shift automatically, though...
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission