Banging noise?????

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Banging noise?????

Postby garywj » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 pm

I can hear a banging noise, similar to a rod knocking, but not as loud. I crawled under the truck, and it was definitely coming from the belhousing, or the front part of the trans. What could it be?
92 w-250 all stock so far.
garywj
fuel pin?

Postby Philip » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Check the crank shaft for end play. If you loose the thrust bearing it can allow the flywheel to touch the engine adapter plate.

Setup a dial indicator on the harmonic balencer. Take a srew driver and shove the crank forward threw the inspection hole. Zero the indicator. Then pry the flywheel towards the rear of the truck. This will give you the play measurement.

Then let us know what it comes out to.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby burnt_servo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:07 am

if it is an automatic , i'd give serious thought to a cracked flexplate.
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby garywj » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:10 am

I don't have a dial indicator, so I removed the inspection plate, checked all the torque converter bolts and inspected the flex plate as I turned it over with a wrench, and I couldn't find anything. So I started the engine, and watched the flex plate/converter turn, used a long screwdriver to listen to the oil pan, block, belhousing, tranny cover......now I can't seem to locate it. I'm not really familiar with diesels, maybe it's just a noise you guys might find normal?
92 w-250 all stock so far.
garywj
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:36 am

Even with out an indicator, just push the balancer back and forth and guesstimate the play. I saw an 855 with 1/4 inch of play once. :shock: Obviously a problem there! :lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission