How Much HP Will A Stock Tranny Hold?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

How Much HP Will A Stock Tranny Hold?

Postby peobryant » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 am

I have a bone stock '91.5 Ram D-350 with an automatic tranny, and was wondering what kind of mods, if any I could do. The truck has about 186k miles on it, and I really want to put a 5-spd in it but for the time being I have to stick with the auto. I was thinking about a set of POD's, but I need to know if my tranny can hold them, and if so how much would a set of them cost? Thanks for any information. And if anyone has ever done an auto to manual conversion I would be interested in information regarding that as well. Thanks again.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby burnt_servo » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:34 am

the bigger question might be , how do you intend on driving it ?

are you going to treat it like it's a 1/2 ton pick up , or treat it like it's a 5 ton ?

myself i feel the stock engine has enough power to kill any either tranny , BUT you also need to be trying to move a house with it .

without removing the tranny , really all you can do is a shift kit .
depending on your skill level with auto's , it might be good to get a tranny guy you trust to take a peak at it to make sure the tranny isn't on it's last legs , before you sink more money into it with the shift kit .
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cummins king » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:18 pm

well i have a set of 6x20s and hot rod ve and twins on a new rebiuld tranny far as i know its stock, it should last the dyno and i hope the trip home :lol:
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 pm

I pulled off 300HP with my truck with the tranny slipping through the hole event...
This was last year and the truck is still running down the road.

I have a new tranny being built right now though to get more power down to the ground.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:08 am

a good stock tranny should hold 375hp as long as you take care of it and theres enough trannsmission fluid in it
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby 2muchtq » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:59 pm

There are 'free' trick you can make your tranny last longer also.

Adjust front band so there is 5/16 clearance between piston and apply lever.

Rear band same.

Pull valve body. Replace plastic accumulator piston and spring with a metal one WITHOUT any springs (firms 1-2 shift)

While VB is out, take up the line pressure to about 100 psi (thats about 1.25 inches from spring seat to end of spring) While you are there the screw next to the line pressure controls light throttle shifts and downshifting. If it shifts too soon light throttle, screw it in clockwise about 4-6 turns. This will help downshifting also.

Put it back together.

When you put fluid back into it. Use the correct ATF, but replace 2 qts of the atf with NON-DETERGENT 30wt.

I have done this with a few transmissions and it works wonderfully. The shifts are nice and they seem to hold power just fine.

I would limit it to about 350 hp. Once you get above about 225-250 you are losing soooo much through the stock converter it isn't funny.

FWIW
Mark
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission