205 N.P. Transfer case reseal

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

205 N.P. Transfer case reseal

Postby GHarman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:38 am

Bought seals from ZBAG last summer to reseal my T-case and Getrag whilst it was tore down. Took both gear boxes to a tranny specialty shop to get the job done. Out of 5 seals, I had the output seal on the rear of the t-case leaking. Called the shop and they said they would replace it under warranty. Advanced Transmission Center in Lakewood, Colorado. Drove the truck down there yesterday and upon inspection of the yoke shank they determined that there was a groove worn into the seal contact surface that prevented the seal from working. Two fixes. Reposition the yoke with spacers or use a "speedy sleeve". The repositioning of the yoke would have been the cheapest way but I plan on keeping the truck for a while, so the "speedy sleeve" got installed at a cost of ~$88. "Old Ugly" now has a further leg up on maintainence. Next job is to replace the exhaust :;-|: . Got to save up. GregH
'91.5 Dodge Ram 250, "Old Ugly", R.I.P., 26 Feb, 2009. New Ugly takes up the slack!
GHarman
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:18 am

upon inspection of the yoke shank they determined that there was a groove worn into the seal contact surface that prevented the seal from working.

I would have had a long talk with them about that problem. Someone didn't do their job to good. They should have seen that problem while they had the case apart the first time. The other thing that could have caused it. Someone installed the seal improperly and it cut the yoke.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby MunK » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:10 pm

The other thing thats kinda odd....I just bought a brand new yoke for my 205 for $85 shipped. "some one broke it when his foot slipped off the clutch"

NoRM
91 W250 Nv4500/3.55
85 W350 Crew Cab (soon to be a 6bt/Nv 4500)
MunK
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission