Cold/cool weather causes my OD to flee.

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby 284 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:31 pm

dpuckett wrote:284 sorry to hijack the thread, though it sounds like you are a little preoccupied ;) .

DP...was preoccupied. Not now. No problem as I'm quite the libertarian when it comes to yakking.

On the trans there is a 2 wire plug above and behind the shift linkage. One wire has +12volts when the key is on and the other is grounded through the PCM to turn the OD solenoid on. Tap into the wire that goes to the PCM and run the wire into the cab and too a switch so it grounds when you turn it on.

Mike, thanks for this. I'm gonna do it this weekend.
91.5 D250, 518, stock.
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 284 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:33 pm

OK, update:

pulled the quick connect going into the driver's side of the OD. Hooked up a meter to each and read 0. Turned key on and one read about 6 volts, the other nothing.

Spliced into that one and ran one the one wire into the cab, cut it, then continued the wire to the neg side of the batt.
Drove it and when up to 40 m/h, connected wires in cab (thus making it a straight shot from neg terminal to wire spliced into at back end of OD).

Didn't go into OD. Kept wires connected and hit the OD button a few times in the cab. Still nothing.

So.....is it safe to assume that my OD's solenoid is bad?

Thanks again everyone.
91.5 D250, 518, stock.
fuel screw!!!!

Previous

Return to Transmission