Valve Body problem??

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Valve Body problem??

Postby SmokinPiney » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm

The A518 in my 92 is really actin up. I just put the truck back together after buying it wrecked so i don't know much about it.

When i shift from neutral to drive or reverse the truck pretty much stalls under its own power. It will move if i get tricky with the throttle but it's basically runnin like a locked up converter would. I know that the 518 has a non-lockup TC and all the linkage seems to be fine and im pretty much clueless now. Could it be something stuck in the valve body? The truck did sit for almost 2 yrs. Im gettin really frustrated with it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
SmokinPiney
smoke screw?

Postby Begle1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:04 am

I'd almost be inclined to say that it's the engine.

Do you know what RPM the engine is idling at? Do you have a tachometer?

I've had the same symptom with an engine that has it's idle set too low, and an engine that's had it's fuel screw in too far. (Well, actually, they were the same engine on the same day, but both of those can cause the engine to stall.)

The load from the transmission should cause it to drop a couple hundred RPM, if that's too much it can stall the truck.

What happens if you give it a tad bit of fuel when you put it into gear? Just hhold the pedal a 1/4 or 1/8 of the way down when you put it in gear?
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby SmokinPiney » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm

It's definately something in the trans for sure. I've set the idle at a few different rpms and it still stalls the motor. I've managed to get the truck rolling by workin the throttle just right before it stalls out but the truck starts to take off on me. There's basically no slippage from the trans that there should be. In other words, the trans seems to be in full lockup (direct drive). Any ideas?
SmokinPiney
smoke screw?

Any More Clues?

Postby Ace » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:28 pm

How does it shift going down the road when you do get it moving?
Ace
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:59 pm

if you get "tricky" with the pettle and get it in drive and you hammer it will it stall or go

if it was the idle it would have to be below 500rpms for it to stall when going into gear, and it would shake like a..........
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:23 pm

My transmission sucks itself down ~250 RPM when I go into gear, if I were to set it to 600 RPM idle in neutral it would probably stall it pretty cleanly when I put it into gear.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:26 pm

with my tranny i can have the idle at 500rpm and stick it in gear and then it idles at 425 and it shakes but wont stall
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby flashgordon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:31 pm

Sound to me like you have a experimental TQ in there that stalls way to low.
when your going down the road fast enough that you can mash it to the floor with out it shifting down.............How much RPM raise can you get buy punching it to the floor and then let off.........

Are you sure that some one didn't put a lock up tranny in it? and its locked up?

Flash
91.0 non intercooled 3/4 ton 5sd ex.straight piped 16cm housing, timing bumped 1/16...Pump . Full power screw1/2 max with out removing the collar. Gear Vender over drive!
"NOW" with 2nt gen intercooler, turbo and 3"Coolertubz, Buy Tim (TWorline)"
flashgordon
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:52 am

Begle1 wrote:My transmission sucks itself down ~250 RPM when I go into gear, if I were to set it to 600 RPM idle in neutral it would probably stall it pretty cleanly when I put it into gear.

That Goerends converter is a lot tighter than a stock converter. My stock converter pulls the engine down less than 100 rpm. Any chance a previous owner put a 90-95% aftermarket converter in there?
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission