Getrag 101

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby Rebel Ram » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:51 pm

MMiller wrote:I put about 25 miles on the old girl today. Finally got the fill tube worked out.

Michael

So what kind of setup did you use for that?
I was thinking of drilling and tapping another fill hole close to the top that I can plumb with an elbow and nipple to fill by pulling up the shifter boot. And another weep hole about 1" above the stocker to keep the higher oil level.
"Big Ugly"-93 3/4 T extra cab 4X4 5 speed
"Big Hips"-92 1 Ton reg cab 4X2 Auto
"The ohwun"-2001 3/4 T quad cab 4X4 auto
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby MMiller » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:53 pm

I used a 1/2" pipe t that was female on all three sides. I threaded a 1/2" nipple in to the transmission that would accept the T and put it out far enough for a hose to go up beside the trans into the engine compartment. I threaded one side of the T onto the pipe nipple and pointed the bottom of the T up twards the turbocharger. I then had a large hose (3/4" ID I think) with a 1/2" pipe nipple on one end. I made it long enough to extend all the way up to near the A/C reciever dryer. The hose runs up next to the trans and bellhousing, up above the stock exhaust, behind the down pipe then up along the inner fender to where the lug wrench used to be. I used the existing lug wrench mounting hardware to hold the end of the hose. I put a larger JIC female end on the hose, and have a plug for it. I used a large JIC to accept a small funnel.

For my first fill I filled the trans up through the shifter, until oil ran out the side of the T sticking straight out of the trans. When oil ran out, I put the original fill/check plug into the T, then I added 1.5 quarts. This time I kept track that it holds 5.5 quarts, so that at oil change time, I can drain it, and then fill it back up through my hose. I'm still trying to figure out a dipstick method, but thats kinda on the back burner with work, farming, and life in general. Hope this helps, I should click some pics and post them.

Another Getrag thing I did this past summer, is tap out the breather, up by the shifter, and put a 90* hose barb on it and ran the breather line up into the engine compartment. It eliminated the oil residue running down the getrag. Now I gotta get the front cover leak fixed, and the oil from the blowby tube stopped too..........

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Michael Check out lokar products. The funnel adapter style dipsticks could be made to work I bet.

http://lokar.com/interior_pages/transdipstick.htm
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

5600 shims

Postby moab4x4 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:47 am

Just a note that I ordered mainshaft shims too and I think I goofed and ordered input shaft shims instead of output shaft shims? My box said Getrag 360, but the plastic bag inside said NV5600. I used one of the shims on my output shaft anyway. The ID is the same, the OD is ~1/4 smaller.
Ken
92 W350 LE Getrag, 3.54, 4"/2" lift,
HTT Stage II, POD's, 4", PDR cam, KDP, 3200 GSK, Pin ground, Keyed Valet
Pyro, Boost in Message Center, Isspro tach, Damplifier-ed entire cab! Dual Batts, Keyless Entry, LED's in dash
moab4x4
fuel pin?

Previous

Return to Transmission