weird noise...

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

weird noise...

Postby nooblet » Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm putting this here because I'm not sure where to put it. I swear normal people don't have as many stupid problems with their vehicles as I do...

My truck is making a grinding, then popping sound. The sounds are consistent with the trucks speed, not rpm. In other words whether my clutch is engaged or not it makes the sound. The lapsed time between the pops are consistent with how fast the truck is going, not how fast the engine is reving.

It only makes this noise when the drive train gets warmed up. I have to drive it a couple miles before this sound starts.

The grinding sound before the pop can only be heard when I go really really slow (<10mphs).

There is no vibrations, slack, or any other sign that anything is wrong except for the noise.

If I'm thinking about this correctly it should be somewhere between the t-case and the rear axle right? Any ideas?

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" --T.Roosevelt
nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:04 am

Pull the plugs and see what you get. It sounds like something a pinion bearing did to me once. maybe it's that old bungee holding the shield away from your driveshaft? ;)
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:36 am

it could be really related to anything from the mainshaft back. the input shaft is the only thing thats speed corralates to the engine. from the main shaft back corralates with how fast the truck is moving and it will spin as long as your wheels are rolling. the input shaft with start spinning only when the crank moves. so not to disapoint you but it could be basicly anything.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 pm

So anywhere between the mainshaft in the tranny back?

I just rebuilt the t-case about a year ago, and this is a recent development, so I highly doubt its the t-case. I just put new u-joints in about a month ago, so I don't think its that. I'm thinking its either my locker or my tranny (which already makes quite a few cool noises :roll: )

Could a bearing make a grind, then a pop like that? Could a U-joint even make a noise like that?

I'm being retarded at the moment... the d-shaft spins faster than the wheels at the rate of the R&P gears right? or does it spin slower than the wheels at the rate of the R&P?

I'm trying to figure out whether its behind the R&P or before it. Any problems with the locker would be multiplied by the R&P factor right?

Chris
1990 W250 4X4 / PODs / 366 Spring / BHAF / Lockers / 35" BFG MTs / Getrag / Valair Ceramic / 3.54:1's / Phantom II Boost/Pyro / Muffler Delete

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:30 am

Haha, it's not a broken spring, or something in the rear brakes, is it?
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:56 pm

your drive shaft is gonna be faster then the wheels cause the r and p make in a lower ratio-i.e. your 4th gear (manual) is a 1:1 so your DS will spin 1:1 but with 3.73's your tires will spin 1 rev for every 3.73 DS revs. hopefully that helps narrow down a little.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby GO OVRIT » Thu May 22, 2008 2:15 pm

Something like that is awfully hard to narrow down from the drivers seat. Hop in the bed and get somebody to ride you around a quiet parking lot. Check all your fluids for and chunks. Feel around for anything abnormally hot after a test drive.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am

The biggest problem is the exhaust, I can't hear anything over it. My street is on a hill, so I started coasting at the top and killed the engine. Thats when i could really hear the grinding before the pop. With the engine on you can only really hear the pop.

Today I coasted down my road with the t-case in neutral and I still heard it, so I guess I can rule out the tranny.

I'll get some one to drive me around in the bed, or I'll walk beside it or something.

I swear my neighbors must think I'm crazy. The other day I put my borgeson steering shaft on, so I had to reposition my steering wheel. I was driving up and down my road pulling the steering wheel on and off adjusting it :lol:

You should see the looks on peoples faces when you drive past then and pop the steering wheel off :shock:

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby nooblet » Fri May 23, 2008 12:40 am

dodgetkboy78 wrote:Haha, it's not a broken spring, or something in the rear brakes, is it?

I probably need to do a rear brake job anyway. I'll just plan on tearing them down.

Is it true you have to pull the axle shafts to do a brake job on D70s? My chiltons is worthless sometimes.

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Fri May 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Yepper.........and get the axle gaskets, I have real bad luck with silicone.

Something like that is awfully hard to narrow down from the drivers seat. Hop in the bed and get somebody to ride you around a quiet parking lot. Check all your fluids for and chunks. Feel around for anything abnormally hot after a test drive.

hehe, I once did that by myself, in a slightly sloped downhill parkinglot, I found the noise, jumped out of the back, tripped, and barely caught my truck before it ran into the trees.
I was like 17 then, as fat as I have gotten, I would have never caught it now.

O

The noise I was hearing turned out to be the diff pin hitting the pinion.... :evil:
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Sat May 24, 2008 2:24 pm

Do you have limited slip? Mine did that and it ended up being low fluid in the diff. The diff was hot after a 15 min drive, like I got a blister just by touching it for 3 secs. It took that long to realize it was HOT and the blister proved it.

If the LS gets hot, it starts welding itself. All I had to do was change fluid and add LS fluid.
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby nooblet » Sun May 25, 2008 12:39 am

Well I figured it out with some help from a complete stranger :oops:

I drove up to my buddies camp site pinging away, got out and asked him if he heard the noise. He said he did and asked me what was making it, I told him I couldn't figure it out. Some guy just walking by turned around and said, "Sounds like you got a rock in your trim rings" then kept walking.

I thought, theres no way it could be that simple...

I popped off the trim ring on the wheel and a 1oz weight fell out. Problem solved :mad:

As happy as I was that it was something stupid simple, I am pretty upset it took me so long to figure it out. Live and learn I guess....

Chris

nooblet
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dodgetkboy78 » Sun May 25, 2008 1:51 am

D'OH!

I hate it when that happens.

Sometimes, it just takes more than one head!
dodgetkboy78
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Sun May 25, 2008 4:43 pm

Believe it or not I started typing that as a possibilty because I had it happen to me one time. I figured you probably had thought of it so I deleted it. :roll: Actually mine was a lugnut in the center cap on my Jeep. :shock:
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby Richie O » Sun May 25, 2008 8:57 pm

O

The noise I was hearing turned out to be the diff pin hitting the pinion.... :evil:[/quote]

I have had the same thing happen to both of my 89's. Pin comes out and makes a mess.. NICE HUH!!!!!
1989 W250 727, 3.07 L/S, S300, P/S Intercooler, Stans exaust, Pump adjustments, 127k miles,297 hp
1993 W250 extended cab, rag, 4.10 l/s, 6x16's, HTT 62/71/14 piston l/p, Isspro EV series tach, fuel pressure, boost, oil pres, water temp, volt, pryo, 132k/ 301 hp
1992 W250 with NV4500, 3.54's, 16cm 60mm GDS H1C, ground stock cone, Isspro tach, pryo, boost, fuel pressure, slow, rusty, dented,180k
Richie O
Administrator

Return to Transmission