New converter in

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

New converter in

Postby GO OVRIT » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:20 pm

Well last sat I pulled the trans and put in my ats converter that was used, but that I was assured was good when it was pulled. Well I got it all together and backed it out of the shop to let it warm up and check the fluid again. When the front cover is cracked, the fluid drips out pretty fast. So my new Suncoast converter was on the porch when I got home today. I makes a big difference over the factory slipping converter. The truck feels a lot stronger and my rpms dropped over 250 at 55 mph. Just on case anybody's getting ready to pull their trans, it balances perfect with the jack on the crossmember. The first time I had the jack under the pan, and wound up having to use a floor jack under the transfer case.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Postby cummins king » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:33 pm

nice, i wanted a suncoast converter too but they wont ship to me unless i pay custom fees
93 4X4 auto
cummins king
14mm rotor

Postby bradshaw106 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:09 pm

would you say it was worth the money? do you have a shift kit?
what about seat of the pants? sorry for all the questions im just debating whether to waste my time with ol' 518 how about temps?
when you say feels alot stronger what do you mean?
92 4wd 180k auto, 366 spring, turned fuel pin, loaded
first diesel!
bradshaw106
fuel screw!!!!

Postby GO OVRIT » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:34 pm

It feels like more of the power is making it to the ground. You can actually see the tach move. Before when I accelerated the tach went straight to one rpm and stayed there until either the truck caught up or I let off. The temps seem to be about the same unloaded. I havn't pulled anything yet. I did bypass the engine mounted cooler, leaving the front one and the one under the bed with the fan on it.
92 W250 ext cab 518, big sticks, a-1000, PDR HX40, 4" exhaust w/aeroturbine, pump tweaked, K&N filter Tims Cooler tubes and 3" i/c, gauges
GO OVRIT
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission