My NV4500 swap adventure!

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

My NV4500 swap adventure!

Postby Jeep-hauler » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:09 pm

When I bought my truck about 8 months ago, I knew that the Getrag was going to need a rebuild at some point. It had lots of bearing noise, and I had to hold it in second or it would pop out. I did make sure it was overfilled though 8) . A few weeks ago I started to lose the 3/4 syncros and had to grind into gear. Then 2 weeks ago it finally blew up. Before I get flamed for Tranny abuse, I knew that driving it would eventually kill it. If I had fixed it before fragging it, the cost would have been much cheaper. I got it home and pulled the trans. Doesn't look too bad on the outside ;)

The pile of greasy parts.

Just for the record.....these are heavy. And I found a T-case under the crud.

Took it into work and pulled the top cover for an inspection. This is not good. :sad:

Looks like the input shaft bearing failed and took out the 3/4 syncro assembly. Also damaged the mainshaft.

Chunks :puker:

More coming...
'51 Power Wagon VE Cummins project.
'92 W250 -Got it cheap, it runs, it's ugly, it's a parts truck
'93 W250 -tweaked pump, 4" exhaust, NV 4500HD 5-speed. Jeep tow rig, daily driver. Sold.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Jeep-hauler » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:14 pm

My cost estimates for repair parts was ranging between 7-900 bucks depending on what I thought I needed. I also didn't think I would have the time or space to rebuild it in my spare time. So I checked into some local trans shops and was told to expect between $1200 to $1500 for a rebuild. Well dang. Despite knowing Getrags are capable when properly cared for, I decided to look into NV4500HD's. The Getrag was at least the second one that had been in my rig(could tell it had been rebuilt or remanufactered by the paint job on it) and didn't want to rebuild a trans I would be worried about or would have to baby. I was able to locate a rebuilt '98 with warranty for $1000, with the 5th gear splines and nut problems already upgraded. I also found an adapter B-housing from NV4500.com that cost me roughly $360 bucks on sale. It included the shifter handle and crossmember mount. So I was able to get all the parts for about the same price as rebuilding my Getrag.

While waiting for the trans to show up, I got busy cleaning parts. Here's the crossmember and tranny mount after I degreased/beadblasted and shot them with Rustoleum satin black enamel.

With the high mileage on my truck, I thought rebuilding the T-case was a good idea too. Besides leaking seals, the rear output bearing felt pretty bad. Bought a rebuild kit off Ebay, and tore it apart for cleaning and reassembly. How does all this go back in?
'93 W250 -tweaked pump, 4" exhaust, NV 4500HD 5-speed. Jeep tow rig, daily driver. Sold.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Jeep-hauler » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Some other stuff I took care of while waiting for the trans to show up in the mail. The NV's shift tower is about 5" back from where the Getrag's is located. Here's my cut layout on the trans tunnel. I used a jigsaw with a short metal-cutting blade. Worked great.

I also spent some time under the cab cleaning all the grease and dirt off. I used a scraper and wire wheel on a grinder for the heavy stuff. Then wiped it down with degreaser. Definitely a dirty job.

After it was cleaned and degreased, I sprayed the bottom of the cab with 3M undercoating. You can also see the new South Bend Con-O already installed.

More...
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Looks good man, real good.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Nice Work!

Postby Ace » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:44 pm

Good job - I like freshly painted "stuff." What's with the white suit? I thought getting covered from head to toe in grit and grease was part of the allure of doing your own automotive work! ;)
Ace
14mm rotor

Re: Nice Work!

Postby Jeep-hauler » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks guys.

Ace wrote: What's with the white suit? I thought getting covered from head to toe in grit and grease was part of the allure of doing your own automotive work! ;)

It's disposable tyvek coveralls. And the full-face respirator was just to keep crud out of my eyes. Looks like I'm ready for Hazmat clean-up, but I stayed fairly clean. My wife came out to make fun of me and take my picture. Dirtry work sucks.

Here's all the goodies ready to go into the truck.

The T-case after reassembly.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Jeep-hauler » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:34 am

Took some time off work two days ago to finish up the swap. Everything went together smoothly, but I still have to install the transfercase linkage. Started it up and ran through the gears in the tranny and both ranges of the T-case without driveshafts so I could listen and check them for leaks. Everything was great. Although the clutch does make a louder rattle in neutral than the old one, but that is normal for this clutch. Test drive went well, and somehow I fixed my broken speedo drive :tongue: Not really sure how that happened, but it works now.

All back together.

It drives and feels great. There is less gap between 2nd and 3rd gear ratios, and its noticeable. Also the shifter on the NV is very precise and has a shorter throw the old Getrag. I've driven it for a couple days now, and really like it.

-Jeremy
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby SNOOT » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:57 pm

Jeremy

You do fine work man it looks great..
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:22 pm

I was looking at the pic of the trans and shifter and wondered why you didn't get a short shift kit for it. Then you can really row! ;)
:lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:21 pm

Turned out awesome man. Want to come do my swap? I guess I should get my stuff together though first.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Jeep-hauler » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks guys!

PToombs wrote:I was looking at the pic of the trans and shifter and wondered why you didn't get a short shift kit for it. Then you can really row! ;)
:lol:

A short shifter would be sweet, but even the stock NV shifter feels like a short shifter compared to the Getrag.

dazedandconfused wrote:Want to come do my swap? I guess I should get my stuff together though first.

The trip out to Kentucky would be nice, but I think you can handle it ;)

Here's a pic of the trans tunnel cover installed. Notice how far back the NV shift tower is compared to the Getrag.

It's just sheetmetal, with a rubber gasket between the tunnel and plate. I also added some foam rubber around the gap to help with noise. The original shift boot ring will be installed after I get my sound insulation and carpet in. It's freakin' loud right now! :shock:
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:16 pm

I get to swap motors, trans and t-case. Need to get the cores hear to start the build on.
Big Andy
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby dpuckett » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:41 pm

Hey nice write up, clean install. If you cant find something to do with the Getrag, I know how to get rid of it for more than scrap (I think Bill's current offer is scrap price :roll: ), though my next potential one is a 2wd (I think).

I had a similar pile of parts in my 4x4 when I got it, plus a nice silver dollar sized hole in the side of the case.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Jeep-hauler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:01 pm

dpuckett wrote: If you cant find something to do with the Getrag, I know how to get rid of it for more than scrap (I think Bill's current offer is scrap price :roll: ), though my next potential one is a 2wd (I think).

Well I certainly don't need it anymore, and its a rebuildable core. Pm'd you.
Jeep-hauler
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 2muchtq » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:19 pm

If anyone is looking for a nv4500 for our trucks I know where there is one for 1500. Its a 4x4 trans with our bellhousing. This is still on a pallet. Bought it new a couple years ago and never swapped it in. So 0 miles. (thought he chunked the getrag.... found out the rear end wasn't as strong as he thought)

Located in Snohomish, Washington.

Again... dont know if its a decent price, but its there.
2muchtq
fuel screw!!!!

Next

Return to Transmission