getrag top cover

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

getrag top cover

Postby railhor5.9 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:05 am

took the top of the getrag cause i wanted to look at it cause it wouldn shift right... couple roll pins were broke so i took the shifter rails out...went to put it back together and i cant get the rails back in.... my father in law came over ( he is a cummins tech.... and rebuilds trannys on the side) he showed me the service manual were it says not to take the rails off.... if you do, replace the cover.... so im screwed, any input on how to cram it all back together????
1993 d250,single cab short bed, sbc, 175hp p-pumped,4kgsk,370's, fass 150. hx35
1997 2500 4x4 , 913,191's,3kgsk,5x16, 3rd gen dubs.
railhor5.9
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dpuckett » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:32 pm

1) from this point forward, ignore the manual. You are already too in-depth for the one you have.

2) flip the voer over so you are looking at the underside of the cover. Right there in the front where the 3 steeple- looking projections are. INside each projection/ steeple thingie, there is a detent spring and ball, and a plastic keeper. You have to find the spring and ball (as it likely jumped across the shop when you too the rail out), and reinstall them. Then you have to hold the assembly down while you slide the sift rail in. You also have to keep an eye on where the shift fork is in all this, as it basically has to stay put, while the rail moves under/ inside it.

If you need more clarification, let me know. I have only done it once, and that was in the spring, and I am going from memory.

Daniel
His- 93 W250 club cab LE, auto to Getrag conversion, piston lift pump, 3.54 LSD. 400k+
Hers- 04 QC 4x4. Built auto, Triple Dog, Air Dog. Funny Round truck that aint so quiet.
dpuckett
14mm rotor

Postby Exekiel » Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:03 pm

I've just finished doing this, please save Yourself the grief and use eye protection (don't ask how I know :roll: ) then when You install them remember the one on the center only moves when the other two are in neutral. It's a mechanism that don't allow two gears at the same time. Hope this helps.
1993 f350 with a 5.9l ctd and getrag
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission