Question about 518 internals and upgrades

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Question about 518 internals and upgrades

Postby VEfreak » Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:26 am

Well, it's almost time to redo the tranny, since it's going downhill fast and it's my daily driver, so i got some questions.

First off, i've heard the internals of a 518 and 727 are exactly the same, so does this mean that THIS(VVV) powerpack from PATC will work for me

#PP5. This Power Pack comes with our #8D6 5 clutch direct drum (not for 48RE). Replaces 3 or 4 clutches with 7 Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels for a 75% to133% increase in clutch apply area. You get 7 Red clutches #28742, 7 Kolene steels #28701K, 2 selective steels #28701K216, 1 drum #8D6 and 1 #8FBP special backing plate. Add the #5X drum to the PP5 power pack for $136.00. Fits all 727 to 47RE transmissions. Cost $549.00

Does anyone have any experience with the PATC converters? Only 399 for one from them. I'm assuming they are just a reworked stocker, maybe with some extra fins put in.

Is it worth it to rebuild it with 6 pinion steel front and rear planetaries?

Can anyone give me any other suggestions on parts. I can't afford any billet shafts or anything. So far my plan is torque converter, upgrade the drum so i can add more clutches and steels. Full rebuild kit, and shift kit, kevlar bands, and maybe steel planetaries. Oh yeah, and a bypass valve.

Any other ideas and a reason for em is welcome, thanks.
I AM ZUES DAMNIT
VEfreak
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission