more torque please

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

more torque please

Postby T.winegar » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:31 pm

so i got all the power i need now, besides maybe injectors and an intercooler of some sort. but, i know that my tranny is letting a lot of power go. what do i need to do to get full potential out of that 727 torqueflite??

torque converter is what i'm looking at until i hear of something different. i don't want to spend a fortune on a transmission that will hardly ever be pullin anything, but that extra torque would be nice.
89 727-stageIvcomp 4in intake-amsoil air filter, 4in exhaust, dennyT, 366 spring. pump turned up to make me smile! low stall converter, rebuilt tranny at 120,000miles
T.winegar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:19 pm

if you looking to do a somewhat "budget build" then i would just a convertor and a shift kit. Get some more line pressure in there so its a little snappier and but all the power to the ground with the convertor. Theres lots more you COULD do but it depends on your intentions. If its just mainly a daily driver and a toy, as long as your not putting HIGH numbers down i wouldnt really worry about anything else.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

tranny change

Postby T.winegar » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:43 pm

so a converter will do everthing i need. and what is a shift kit- a splitter?? i don't need to rebuild the tranny or nothing right?? more pressure to the lines, what do ya mean by that?
89 727-stageIvcomp 4in intake-amsoil air filter, 4in exhaust, dennyT, 366 spring. pump turned up to make me smile! low stall converter, rebuilt tranny at 120,000miles
T.winegar
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mprmn08 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:49 am

a shift kit just changes some springs in the valve body so it will give you more line pressure. More line pressure will hold the clutch packs when there enganged better it will also shift quicker and harder.
93 w250 reg cab. rigged up stock downpipe to 4 inch to 5 inch exhaust from p.o. mild pump tweaks and all other stock for now. Project "smoke a little smoke". www.c-techperformance.com
mprmn08
14mm rotor

Postby Mad Max » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:21 am

but big power is useless without a very good converter. No 'rebuilt' converter will hold any merit compared to a DTT, suncoast, or Goerends converter. Spend the $ on a good converter and your truck will literally feel like your power doubled.
- M2
"...there's always a way".

'78 W950 Power Wagon "Bud"
'85 W350 Crew "Big Mack"
Mad Max
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission