transfercase question???

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Postby florida4x4 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:41 am

That's a NP205 transfer case and it's nearly indestructible. there's not much adjustment on the linkage. It may be the linkage is worn out but I'm guessing the rust is preventing the shift rails from engaging fully. If you got them cleaned up, that's great. Have someone try shifting and watch the rails to make sure they move properly. The shift rails have spring loaded ball bearings that ride on grooves that positively hold the rails in each gear. Popping out of 2HI into 4HI could be caused by a failure in the spring/ball bearing. I'm guessing that is pretty rare condition.

If you can't get it to work by cleaning and/or replacing linkage, the transfercase is as simple as it gets and is easy to rebuild with basic tools. A rebuild kit with all the bearings, springs and gaskets should run around $150. The hardest thing to do is adjust the idler gear end play and that's only because you have to assemble, measure with a dial indicator and adjust shims until you get it right. It's tedious work but still easy enough. I did the one in my 72 Jimmy in one afternoon.

Hope that helps.
Florida4x4 forum
1972 GMC Jimmy | 1-tons | doubler | 42" Swampers | Stazworks Beadlocks
1993 W250 CTD | 4.10's otherwise all stock for now
florida4x4
fuel pin?

Previous

Return to Transmission