Thoughts On This "Heavy Duty" Flexplate?

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Thoughts On This "Heavy Duty" Flexplate?

Postby RSWORDS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:29 pm

hhhmmm Only $54...

CAT high performance flexplates are manufactured from stamped, cold rolled, and non-resulfurized carbon steel plate. The 5/32" thickness of the stamped plate is much heavier than OEMs for superior strength. The heavy gauge steel plate is double Argon gas welded to gear ring. The high manganese carbon steel gear ring is machined by CNC machine centers for superior wear resistance for engines frequently kicked on and off. All CAT flexplates are tested to 12,500 RPM for explosion proof in compliance with SFI 29.1 specification. Surface is yellow dichromate finished for rust resistance and appearance.

Here is there site
http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/flywh ... plates.asp

And teh actual Flex Plate
http://www.catpep.com/catproducts/produ ... FP-359.asp
Last edited by RSWORDS on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:03 pm

Looks like teh same one that snoot is running... (3rd post)
http://www.1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?t=2192
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby redneckroot » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:25 pm

I had one on my last truck and just picked one up for the one I'm working on now. Never had any issues with it. But I have broke a few stockers before
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby Begle1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:41 pm

Says that it works for the B-series Cummings engines, gotta be a good one.

Looks like the one I got. I got mine from PATC off of eBay. Haven't needed it yet.
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Tweaked injection pump, built transmission, a cataclysmic charlie foxtrot of electronics, the most intense street-ran water injection system in the country, and some more unique stuff.
Begle1
14mm rotor

Postby RSWORDS » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:58 am

redneckroot wrote:I had one on my last truck and just picked one up for the one I'm working on now. Never had any issues with it. But I have broke a few stockers before

Did you get it from these guys?

I wonder if it will be better then a 2nd gen plate...
RSWORDS
14mm rotor

Postby SNOOT » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 pm

I got mine from PDR in Canada about 6 years ago after breakng the stock one. Its been a trooper for me with no problems. I did ask the people at Georend about it when I built my trans last year. They said it was a coin toss on weather you got a good one or bad one. Problems pointed out to me at the time. Thicker flex plate ment it moves your TQ converter back a small amount. This could cause input clearance issues with the covert into the trans. I have not had any issues with mine to date. They also said that they had seen some the were out of balance or out of round that caused vibration. Again not the case to date with mine but you must be aware of this. You can have it checked before installing it. A good engine builder should be able to check it for pretty cheep.

The price on the adds above are great I think I paid 154.00 for mine at the time. A guy couldnt go wrong buying a couple and selling them on e-bay. I may explore this caues that seems like a real good deal.

Nice post.

Here are a few pictures of mine during my trans swap.
1993 W350
SNOOT
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission