In too deep? 1990 727 rebuild...

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

In too deep? 1990 727 rebuild...

Postby aspoonhour » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:39 pm

I hate to bore you guys, but figured I'd ask...I pulled the trans out of 'Ole Red(My '89 CTD ramcharger) after our last trip to Moab. I believe it was just plain tuckered out. I could tell it was slipping. I know some of you have built these transmissions before, so I have ask...Are they that difficult?

My original intention was to pull it apart(that is done) and basically put it bac together with new clutches, steels, bushings, etc. NOW, after some reading, I'd like to do a few small upgrades. Nothing too extreme...Red is a Daily Driver...Never tows anything(well, our Pop up trailer packed full 'o stuff)...no racing, etc. What I really want is a Very durable, tight transmission.

Do you suppose that a "crafty" novice could pull off a nice trans in the garage? Should I have it "done"?

I have the time and patience, but most of what I seem to find is "racing" trannies...

Any auto tranny saavy folks out there that like to type and post pics?

Andrew
aspoonhour
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Jelmer » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:47 pm

I just have my 727 rebuild and put a shiftkit in it, a deeper oilpan and later on I'm going for a DTT torqueconverter.
Jelmer
fuel screw!!!!

Postby sdstriper » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Get the FSM for your year truck, or ATSG rebuild manual and/or the book Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook, HPBooks-1399 by Carl H Munroe. It may not be diesel specific but all the principles apply.

FSM has the exact info that the ATSG booklet has, but you get the benefit of the rest of the Service Manual.

The manual calls out for several special tools but you can get by without them. Except a caliper and maybe one other IIRC.
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JD730 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:39 am

sdstriper wrote:The manual calls out for several special tools but you can get by without them. Except a caliper and maybe one other IIRC.

Feeler gauges. You need that to set the clutch pack and too check the plantary clearances correctly.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission