Getrag Disassembly

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Getrag Disassembly

Postby Rebel Ram » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:42 pm

I pulled everything from the Crank (including seal) to the rear axle today. This is a follow up subject to "Getrag Down". Interesting things I found were as follows, NO OIL in trans. None! I topped everything off about 2 months ago after resealing the PTO covers. The only places I can think it went was some out the rear seal and the top cover was very loose. Two of the bolts had backed out about two threads. The gasket was very hard and had migrated some at the loose bolts. I can only speculate that as the gears sling oil it was going out the cover? The bottom of the truck has been very wet but I couldnt find the leak.
Whoever put the last engine rear seal in, left the tool there.
One of the bolts holding the Engine rear plate had backed all the way out. But just that one.
The transfer case still had all its oil and shifted well. I had a problem with getting into 4 high before. It turned out to be interferance with the lever and the tunnel.
So after all of the dirty work was done I started to try to take the trans apart to have a look at the damage. It looks like all the gears and shafts are ok. The input shaft bearing is what got HOT and was making ugly noises. The pocket bearing got a little dry too. But the mating race on the end input shaft apears to be in good shape.
It looks like I will need a new 3-4 shift fork though. I think that when things got hot there it got wasted.
So far all the disassembly I have done is to get the top gearset and input out. I have questions on the rest of the take apart.
1- How do I get the bearings off the shafts?
2-How do I get the counter shaft out? Is the answer behind the rubber plug at the front?
3-And lastly, What takes up all the latteral forces on the top gearset? Only the preload of the front/rear and pocket bearing? That does not seem like it would work.
Anyway thanks for wading through this and for any answers you have.

CC. from TDR
"Big Ugly"-93 3/4 T extra cab 4X4 5 speed
"Big Hips"-92 1 Ton reg cab 4X2 Auto
"The ohwun"-2001 3/4 T quad cab 4X4 auto
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby wannadiesel » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:25 am

1. A press, or cut the cage off and the carefully cut most of the way through the inner race, then snap it off with a chisel.
2. Yep. There's a snap ring under there holding in the bearing race. Once the race is out of the way, the shaft slides out, and you can lift the countergear out.
3. That's why proper lubrication is important.

Left the tool in when they installed the seal, eh? A real rocket scientist there. :lol:
'93 D350 LE Club Cab dually, Getrag, 3.54 Pow-R-Lok with: DPS EDM's, HTT Stage IV/14wg, Con-FE, Snow Stage 2 water/meth, custom fuel pin, Walbro secondary fuel system.

Best dyno: 408/844
wannadiesel
diesel guru

Postby Rebel Ram » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:24 am

Now I see the importance of a good pilot bearing. It from what I see is the point at which the input shaft is suported lateraly in turn keeps the rest of the gear cluster strait by means of the pocket.. This is why I LOVE mechanical trucks. IE IPs, Trans, No electical/ hydraulic ohms this, pressure regulator that, gizmos that you cannot see its opperation. I am actually having fun.
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Rebel Ram » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Well shes done! I am very pleased with my results. Thanks to all that chimmed in on here and the TDR. I had allot of fun and learned even more. ALL of my noises are gone. No idle clatter. No 4th gear chatter. No whine from third or me. I replaced the 3/4 fork and all bearings. I borrowed a good set of mag dial indicators and dialed the packs in perfect. With the new OFE and roller pilot bearing its like what i would imagine new would be. New trans mounts and straitened X member. The last thing to fix is the cheesy rubber shifter joint. Once again thanks to everyone that helped and to Jay for the literature.
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bgilbert » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:05 pm

I need to get motivated and put my gutted 2wd getrag back together. I got bearings and synchros from Z-Bag the other day, but forgot to order shims. Right now it's layed out on the garage floor on a mat all WD'd. In the way of other projects of course :evil:.
Bill Gilbert
85 D350 crew with 90 6BT intercooled Getrag 3.07's
93 D350 single cab Getrag 3.54's.
bgilbert
14mm rotor

Postby Rebel Ram » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:18 am

The good news about the shim kits is once you but one, You will never need another one. Lots of shims. Thick to thin. Hang your leftovers on your favorite peg board.
On a side note to my project, My front bearing housing had been worn badly from a spun bearing. I took a .04" shim and turned down the ID to clear the bearing cage. Then took .04" off the housing to compensate for the shim.
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission