Automatic Service/Rebuild Manual Info

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Automatic Service/Rebuild Manual Info

Postby sdstriper » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:16 am

I like to have the Factory Service Manuals (FSM) for my vehicles. These are the best manuals over any others I don't care how much more they cost, you get what you pay for in this case. And I'll include that I'm cheap so trust me on this one.

I'll get on to the Automatic Service Info as I titled it now.

I had the FSM for my truck and decided I would attempt a rebuild of the transmission since it was the primary source of my external lubrication system... So I thought I would order the Automotive Transmission Service Group (ATSG) manual since it was about $100 less than Chrysler's publication specifically for the 727's :shock:

Here's the heads-up. The same exact info is in the FSM, I was disappointed to find it is nearly a carbon copy with a few exceptions to include a couple pages that are reversed. If you want to rebuild your own and have the FSM, your set. If you don't have the FSM, I would opt for it even though one cost more than the ATSG manual. You will get your moneys worth with the FSM. If your bold enough to try a tranny rebuild and you don't even have a FSM do yourself a favor and get one or other.

My question is this. Does anyone with the newer truck/transmissions (518/618 or 46, 47 RH) have both a FSM and ATSG manuals to confirm the same info can be obtained from the FSM as the ATSG booklet for the later transmissions. I do have the ATSG A500/518/618 booklet if someone has a 92-93 FSM. Maybe PM me your phone number and I'll call you to read off a page or two to confirm. I'm betting it's the same, and in that case I would rather have a later FSM off ebay than the booklet info...
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Postby sdstriper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:32 pm

I must be the only fool that likes the "slushbox" transmission! Heh heh...

Here's some good reading for the automatic transmission guru-in-the-making.

HP Books, Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook, author Carl H. Monroe.

Chrysler published a manual at one time, it is out of print now but I have seen it on Ebay. Fundamentals of Automatic Transmission, CHRYSLER MOTORS SERVICE TRAINING.

This is probably the best free read I have seen on the 727 transmission, authored by Tom Hand. The 727 was the first automatic offered in the Cummins diesel trucks and is basically the baseline for the newer four speed automatics, with the exception of the OD tailshaft housing of course. http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissio ... -hand.html

As always the Factory Service Manuals have the best info, they have the exact same info as the ATSG Transmission Service Manuals.
1989 D250, 727, 3.07, BHAF, 4" exhaust, Usual Suspect Gauges, tuned VE, OSPP
sdstriper
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission