Clutch Upgrades

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Clutch Upgrades

Postby oldestof11 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

How about this for my truck?

http://www.blackclouddiesel.com/Dodge/T ... 13inch.htm

2nd one down. And should I get a upgraded shaft?

I plan on pump out 400 HP and doing a pull here or there.

I want to put a new one in this summer. Any other suggestions?

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby MMiller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Well that will be a good clutch for towing, and normal driving. Maybe a hook to the sled or two, but you'll likely just have to use 2nd gear low side of the t-case, and make sure the clutch is engaged, before applying the power. In other words, no wide open, clutch slipping starts. That clutch will not take it.

Also the larger shaft is for the NV4500, I've never seen one available for the Getrag.

If you want to pull, have 400 hp, and use 3rd gear while pulling, then you better find a twin disc clutch, so you can come out the hole with a bunch of rpms....

Just my $.02, especially with experiance pulling my 93.

Where in Illinios are you? I pull in SE Iowa, a little in Illinois, and some in Missouri with a gasser street truck.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Postby oldestof11 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:20 pm

If you know where Dixon is, I am 15 miles east near a little town called Franklin Grove. I plan on pulling at Amboy at the 4-H Lee County fair.

Should I spend money on a dual disk when I get to 400 or should I wait till I hit there then get? I don't plan on hitting that number until next summer maybe. But I will need a clutch right after the pulls in July.

Also, will a dual disk fit the Getrag?

Thanks!

Jon
Jon
93 D250~ Mismatch of cheap parts, trying to look fast going slow
oldestof11
14mm rotor

Postby MMiller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:12 pm

*IF* you know you are aiming for 400 hp, *AND* want to hook it hard, *AND* run with newer trucks, then you should spend the money on a good clutch now, instead of spending money twice. I will warn you that your dana 70 will be begging for mercy, as will your getrag. I'd bet on the dana 70 giving up before the getrag, especially if you can pull 3rd gear.

If you are just pulling for fun, then the single disk will do just fine. Just plan on using 2nd gear and low side, and baby it out of the whole. Just know now, that you will not run down the track with any new duramaxes, or cummins trucks. I've tried 3rd gear, and seen a bunch of guys try 3rd with a stock or near stock single disk(like the one you mentioned) and just drive right through the clutch.

Hooking to a sled is very addictive. You might consided just getting a truck to pull, and one to drive to work. Thats what I did.

As far as twin disc clutches, I've never seen a SB DD clutch offered for the smaller input shaft. They automatically want you to have a big shaft(read NV4500). Enterprise engine used to have small shaft dual disk clutches. Maybe call Peter at SBC and see if they will make you a twin disc for the getrag.

Its been a few years, but I did hook once at Amboy, and had hopping troubles. Haven't been back as I moved away from the Quad Cities deeper into Iowa.

Michael
1993 W250, 3.55, NV5600 , Con O, bosch 185's, 4" exhaust, Super 40, pump tweaks, ground pin, Smokehouse air intake, Hamilton Cam,
1985 D350, Crew Cab, 92 cummins and a 518. 47rh to be built and installed along with 3.55 LS Dana 80
MMiller
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission