NEED HELP WITH OVERDRIVE!! ROOKIE QUESTION!!

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

NEED HELP WITH OVERDRIVE!! ROOKIE QUESTION!!

Postby dakota farmer » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Ok this may be a stupid question. I replaced the throttle position sensor with a potentiometer run in the cab and it worked great. Shifted perfect every time. NOW it won't shift. The speedometer on the truck doesn't work right now ....would that affect the shifting of the tranny into overdrive.Someone else has been driving pickup on farm and I don't know if it quit shifting the same time the speedo quit. I appreciate the help guys. Thanks.
93 350 Denny T./ 4 Turns Fuel Screw/ 3200 Spring......Still Looking for more to do.
dakota farmer
fuel pin?

Re: NEED HELP WITH OVERDRIVE!! ROOKIE QUESTION!!

Postby ellis93 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:47 pm

Yes the speeder meter needs to work for O/D to work.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby winkgnz » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 am

I had the same problem about a year ago, it turned out to be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) was bad. I wnet through three of them from NAPA and one from CarQuest only to find out that the aftermarket ones are JUNK!
Go to your local dealership and and hopefully you can still get one from them. that is what I had to do. Also if it's a 4x4 make sure that the ratio adapter on the side of the transfer case is still working as that was also bad on mine.
winkgnz
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Fred Average » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:10 am

Is there a way to bypass the VSS so the trans DOES shift into overdrive?

Have the OEM part number for the VSS?

My 1992 D250 is doing the same thing.

Thanks!
Fred Average
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Fred Average » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:02 pm

Well as per MOPAR,the VSS IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE :cry:

Part # 4638763

Anyone know of a source or a quality aftermarket replacement?

Thanks All.... :D
Fred Average
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Diesel » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:38 am

winkgnz wrote:I had the same problem about a year ago, it turned out to be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) was bad. I wnet through three of them from NAPA and one from CarQuest only to find out that the aftermarket ones are JUNK!
Go to your local dealership and and hopefully you can still get one from them. that is what I had to do. Also if it's a 4x4 make sure that the ratio adapter on the side of the transfer case is still working as that was also bad on mine.

Now when the VSS went out did you lose speedometer or just the OD hunting issue? My truck speedo works but the OD kicks in and out when cold for a while. Once warm it stays in OD generally.
1991.5 D250 Intercooled A518
Diesel
14mm rotor

Return to Transmission