tranny problems

How they work, how they don't work, and how to fix them

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

tranny problems

Postby Power Ram Man » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:48 pm

my auto tranny original with over 200,000 miles on her is acting up she is going in and out of overdrive every three seconds and when i changed the fluid in the tranny pan there was brass on the bottom of the pan what could this mean? :?:
92 3/4 Cummins with coverted getrag 5 speed, 4x4 PODS,3200 Gov spring,16cm housing, 4inch exhuast homemade downpipe, water meth,hx35 turbo,5 inch stainless intake with AFE filter, fuel turned up, timing bumped boost,pyro guages, Denny T fuel pin,coolertubz,piston lift pump
Power Ram Man
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Rebel Ram » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:03 pm

I cannot speak to the brass in the pan but as a test for you OD you could temporarily do what I have done permanently. There is a two wire plug that goes to a sensor in the front steel line that runs to the heat exchanger. Unplug it and put a jumper in tha wire plug. If you OD works ok then it might be the sensor. Pressure switch I think.
Mine is gone because I had to make a new line. But my OD work's fine.
"Big Ugly"-93 3/4 T extra cab 4X4 5 speed
"Big Hips"-92 1 Ton reg cab 4X2 Auto
"The ohwun"-2001 3/4 T quad cab 4X4 auto
Rebel Ram
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JD730 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:10 am

Rebel Ram wrote:If you OD works ok then it might be the sensor. Pressure switch I think.

That switch is a temperature switch, it supposed to kick OD out when the temp is 260-270*F in the hot pipe leaving the trans.

The brass is probably one of the trust washers getting chewed up.

On the trans there is a 2 wire plug above and behind the shifter. One wire is fed 12v when the key is on and the other is grounded when the PCM calls for OD, I don't remember which color is which, but splice a wire in to the one that gets grounded and run it into the cab to a switch so you can manually control it. If it still acts up after that, then the problem is in the trans or valve body. If it doesn't act up, it most likely the Throttle Position Sensor acting up or dirty.
Mike
Thats not a leak, its the external lubrication system.
The "Rattle Box"
93 W250 Silver Club Cab, few tweaks here and there.
John Deere Two Cylinders, too many to list.
JD730
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Transmission