Headlight swith

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Headlight swith

Postby mojo » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Ok 245,000. and the truch has finally given me a problem that I cannot ignore. The rear brake lights are stuck on. I have a lift gate with additional lights and all lights are on except one. I looked over the micro switch on the brake arm and it appears good. I figured then maybe the headlight switch is the culprit. This is where it gets a little embarrasing... I cant get the knob off the switch so I can clear the plastic pice that holds the adjustable mirrors. Any suggestions on either issues??

Joe
mojo
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Unplug the wires to the brakelite switch, it may be stuck internally. If they go out, it's the switch.

To get the knob off, reach up behind the dash to the switch. On the dash end, on top, there is a button. Push that down, and pull the knob out, the shaft is part of it.
Remember, this leaves the lights on! If you put the shaft back in, you can turn the lights off, if you push too hard, it locks the knob/shaft back in. ;)

Can't get the knob off. Man, I can't believe I didn't smut that up. I must be slipping. :cry:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:40 pm

PToombs wrote:Can't get the knob off. Man, I can't believe I didn't smut that up. I must be slipping. :cry:

nahh, that one was too easy. but isnt the button to release the knob on the bottom side? either way, if its being stubborn to come out like the last one i did was, try to "pry" the knob in different directions until you get it to move. i had to pull mine downward.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby snimmuc » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:07 am

Yes, The little button you push is on the bottom side. I just replaced my switch a few weeks ago.
Had the same problem! ;-)
1992 CTD (Old work truck) that needs a little work!
snimmuc
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:42 am

Sorry, bottom. It's been a while since I pulled one out! I usually just wiggle it in and out while I hold the button down, and it comes out ok.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Now Im Gettin it

Postby mojo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:34 am

Thaks for the quick response. Got the switch out and it was in perfect condition. This surprised me a little because of all the talk I have read on different forums about them going bad. Though it was a fun exercise removing the dash and even replaced som bulbs while I was in there. After I ruled out everyhing I looke at the obvious and unhooked my brake controller. While unhooking it I did notice that it was covered in soda pop. Yes the lights went out. So I called the neighbor who borrowed the truck to move drywall and yes confimed there was a soda accident in the cab. Proble solved. This is the second Hoppy Impuse controller I have gone through. If anyone is looking to puchase one I would not recomend them. While poking around the truck I did see a few more issues that should be taken care of so... I will probably be needing a little help in the near future thanks again for the quick responses.

Joe
93 Dogde W250 stock
mojo
fuel pin?

Postby burnt_servo » Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:05 pm

funny i just replaced the switch on my brake pedal last weekend on my w150 , it would stick on , and stay on until i wiggled the brake pedal .
'93 w250 .... stock ...
curently removing the dead moose parts ....
burnt_servo
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical