Tach not acurate

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Tach not acurate

Postby Ptothej » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:33 am

I searched a bit and didnt seem to see anyone this problem, so here it goes. As far as I knew when I got the truck it seemed acurate (fall '09). I did notice somewhere between then and now.. closer to now, that it read higher, but went back to where it was. Now it seems higher all the time, doing 90k/hr its reading between 1750 and 2k, where as when I got it it was running 100k/hr at 1750, (100k/hr present 2000rpm), has anyone had a similar problem? Or know how to fix it without just saying "f" it, and getting a new one?
'92 W250, 5spd, reg. cab, 2" lift, 4" dp, 4"exhaust no muffler, smoke screw bottomed out, star wheel bottomed out, full power screw maxed, BD fuel pin, BD 16cm housing (30psi), K&N air filter with a modified factory air box
Ptothej
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Tach not acurate

Postby PToombs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:54 pm

What brand tach, and how does it get it's reading? These little tidbits of info are important when we troubleshoot something like this. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Ptothej » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

Ahhhh sorry! When you think you've covered all the info! Factory! Factory tach.. and more info I just realized, I believe at idle the tach is pretty bang on, it seems almost the higher I go the worse it is? And I stand corrrected, at 100k/hr Im just a hair over 2k.. now I know this thing hasnt been reved as high as Ive reved it, not saying I rev the sthi out of it, (stock governor spring), but shes never had unrestricted exhaust, and pump tweaks.. original owner, but maybe its only been reved to a certain point in its life, and is getting sticky, or something from being pushed past whats its read for the past 18 years? Ideas?
'92 W250, 5spd, reg. cab, 2" lift, 4" dp, 4"exhaust no muffler, smoke screw bottomed out, star wheel bottomed out, full power screw maxed, BD fuel pin, BD 16cm housing (30psi), K&N air filter with a modified factory air box
Ptothej
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:33 pm

I think the next thing I do would be to check the wires to the crank sensor, then the air gap on the sensor. There is a plug at the front of the head that gets loose or corroded. The air gap to the balancer should be .050. Beyond that, I'm lost. Maybe check the grounds too.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Ptothej » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Wow! Ive never known how the tach works on a diesel before, I appreciate that, thanks! Definetly gonna check it out.. I was thinking more gauge.. but perhaps it is more that side then not..hmmmmm
Ptothej
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Ptothej » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I adjusted the tach sensor up and down, and the tach never changed rpms from what it already read.. I guess its in the tach?
Ptothej
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:04 pm

Sounds like it. If you knew someone that had one you could swap and see if the problem stayed or swapped with the guage.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:10 am

What year was this tach manufactured? Electronic devices have components that fail over time. 15 years life expectancy is about the average using components from back then and this applies to something new in the box.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby Ptothej » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:36 pm

Ptoombs, sounds like you have the best idea, BobS, it is a factory Dodge tach. Did I read, or hear properly that they are run through the ecu as well? Or straight from the sensor? Just trying to narrow it down here, thanks.
Ptothej
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical