Electrical Woes... Tail light and turn signals

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Electrical Woes... Tail light and turn signals

Postby peobryant » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, I'm having some more problems with my truck. My turn signals and tail lights don't work. I've replaced all 4 bulbs in the rear, replaced the fuse that was labeled as "stop lights" and still nothing. When I turn my parking lights or headlights on, the rears light up, but when I press the pedal they don't. What could be the problem? I'm not much of an electrical man (as most of you know) so it may be something simply I'm overlooking.

Also, as I was replacing the fuse last night I apparently didn't put the fuse box back up correctly and when I was driving the work my boot knocked the box back down. I reached down to put it back up and heard a pop and sparks started flying. I assume the metal part of the fuse box hit my steering column or something, but now my windows won't roll down. Every time I hit the window switch all the lights on the message center light up and I don't hear the motor running. I'm assuming it's just a blown fuse, but before I go back to the auto parts store I figured I'd run it by you guys.

Thanks for any help.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Electrical Woes... Tail light and turn signals

Postby PToombs » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:58 pm

Parker, you have a bad ground on the rear lights, someplace. Lesson for the day,
When lights flash or are on that shouldn't be, or when something comes on and another light goes off, it's usually a bad ground. ;)

Use a test light on the fuse box to see where there is power and not. You may have popped a fuseable link under the hood. This is just a guess, as I don't have power windows and have never blown a link.
Good luck buddy!
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Hansen01 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:45 pm

X2 on the ground, exact same thing happend to me. trace the grounds from each side of the tailights
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Oh joy...

Thanks for the help, I'll post back later with results.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:29 pm

You better!

:lol:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby redneckroot » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Or it could be a short in the trailer wiring if you have trailer wiring. I've had more then one truck come through including my own with a bunch of light problems that didn't make and sense that ended up being a short in the trailer wiring. My 2nd gen I had shorted out inside the trailer plug.
1990 Restored with a bit of aftermarket goodies might be for sale?
1993 ex. cab 2wd soon to be 4wd Newest Project
1998 ex. cab 12v 4x4 now a 5 speed SOLD
redneckroot
14mm rotor

Postby kbhblazer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:24 pm

Could be the light switch itself, that was my problem, I came off before the switch and anded a toggle switch for the park lights. it helps unload some of the curcuit because the wiring on the trucks os way underengineered
kbhblazer
fuel pin?

Postby cougar » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:12 am

If you are having trouble with your brake lights and turn signal lights, I'd check the multifunction (aka turn signal) switch. Your brakes go through that switch so the same element in the bulb can be used for both. Had that happen on my 91.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby welderboy250 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:22 am

cougar wrote:If you are having trouble with your brake lights and turn signal lights, I'd check the multifunction (aka turn signal) switch. Your brakes go through that switch so the same element in the bulb can be used for both. Had that happen on my 91.

2x on that. I've seen that deal many times.
welderboy250
fuel screw!!!!

Postby bmoeller » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 pm

As Pete said, grounds would be good to check. It's free. ;) But, I'd lean towards the multi-function switch myself. Been there, done that.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby Hansen01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:19 am

redneckroot wrote:Or it could be a short in the trailer wiring if you have trailer wiring. I've had more then one truck come through including my own with a bunch of light problems that didn't make and sense that ended up being a short in the trailer wiring. My 2nd gen I had shorted out inside the trailer plug.

This is also a good place not to forget, this still happens to me once in a while if dirt or something gets in there
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 pm

Haven't had much of a chance to look at my truck, but I did figure out how to get my taillights and blinkers working again. Unfortunately it hasn't answered anymore of my questions but instead has left me more confused than before.

My hazard lights haven't worked in a few years and I figured it was just a fuse but I couldn't be bother to fix it. Fast forward to my little problem in the first post, as I was driving along I noticed the hazard switch was in the "on" position, and when I pushed it back down my blinkers and taillights worked again. So, why the hell did that happen, and what do I do to fix it the proper way?

Also, after my idiotic mishap with the fuse box, not only do my windows not roll down, when I turn on my heater or A/C all the lights on the dash light up and the blower seems to be on, but not doing much of anything whereas before it was pretty strong.

Did I mention I hate electrical systems and wiring? :mad:

Thanks for the help guys.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Your multi function switch is bad thats why the flasher button messed up everything. Have you checked the fuses and fusable links. I replaced a fusable link that powers the blower and wait to start lightd. If that fuse blows when I turn on the blower those will light up.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby peobryant » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:30 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Your multi function switch is bad thats why the flasher button messed up everything. Have you checked the fuses and fusable links. I replaced a fusable link that powers the blower and wait to start lightd. If that fuse blows when I turn on the blower those will light up.

I've checked fuses and those seemed to be alright but I'm not even sure what the fusable links are, or how to check them. Like I said, I'm a complete novice when it comes to wiring and electrical systems so I need all the help I can get.

And where is the multifunction switch located? This is the first time I've heard about it. It's not the same thing as the headlight switch, correct?

Thanks again.
Parker
peobryant
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:40 pm

No its the turn signal, wiper, dimmer, flasher switch. Its all one piece under the steering column covers. Under the hood in the wiring you will see black fat spots in the wires. Those are your fusible links and Mark has said when they burn out you can stretch them. I stick a multi meter gauge on each side and check for 12V's.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Electrical