90-91 cruise control module needed

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

90-91 cruise control module needed

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi all,
I am in the midst of adding cruise to my 91 5spd, and looks like the last item I need is the control module that mounts under the dash, just above the parking brake release handle. Appears it should have a flat 9 pin connector for it. Dodge dealer checked and are discontinued, no dealers showed having one, Chrysler P/N 4728464. Do any of you know if there is a source for these modules? I believe they should be the same for auto/manual trannies. The dealer did show that this module was used on 90-91 cummins trucks.

Thanks,

Steve
91.5 W250 LE reg cab, Getrag 5spd, 4.10 posi, everything but cruise, 4" DE exhaust, 5x.013 Scheid Lightnings, HX35/16cm W/G from a '95, Autometer boost & pyro.
Other toys: bought new 96 Dakota with 390 stroker, 80 IH Scout Traveller with factory Nissan SD33 turbo/IC 6cyl diesel
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

Re: 90-91 cruise control module needed

Postby BC847 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Steve,

I've edited your post as all Want-Ads are to be in our Classifieds section.

You'll have access to that area of our forums with making ten posts in our forums (useful posts) . . . .. 3 to go. ;)
David

1993 12mm VE Fueled W250 CC, Green
12.67 @ 103.35
Your basic farm truck ;)
BC847
Administrator

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Sorry about that, still a newbie to the forums :). Thanks for getting it in the right spot.
Steve
91.5 W250 LE reg cab, Getrag 5spd, 4.10 posi, everything but cruise, 4" DE exhaust, 5x.013 Scheid Lightnings, HX35/16cm W/G from a '95, Autometer boost & pyro.
Other toys: bought new 96 Dakota with 390 stroker, 80 IH Scout Traveller with factory Nissan SD33 turbo/IC 6cyl diesel
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

90-91 cruise control information needed

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello,

I'd like to bring this back up, as I am needing information on adding cruise control to a 91.5 intercooled truck. Does anyone know if the wiring harness is in the steering column for the clockspring with CC switch provisions? Also, I see that the wiring harness exists under the hood, on the drivers fender for the cruise motor. I am hoping that I will be able to just swap my clockspring, and not mess with changing any other wiring harnesses.

I guess while I am asking, I also need to see if anyone knows about the module that mounts above the parking brake release handle. I have never seen one of these, and the Dodge dealer told me its DISCONTINUED, and was used on 90-91 trucks. Should this 9 pin connector and wiring harness be under my dash (LE truck without CC)? and what was used on 92-93 trucks? I did read in my manual that the diesels were the only trucks that used the module under the dash. Apparently the gas trucks were controlled by the SBEC. Just raised my interest to see how the 92-93 trucks cruise control worked.

Any info would be appreciated :)

Thanks,

Steve
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:35 pm

On my '92, the cab has no cruise or options in the harness. No clockspring, no provision for buttons on the wheel, nothing. I do have the plug for the unit under the hood, and it's run off the computer in the fender. I plan on adding in my own switches and wires to the bulkhead and see if it works. Road trips suck with out cruise! :cry:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Thanks for the info, I kinda figured they may have switched the diesels over to SBEC control for the cruise on the 92-93's. I guess I will have to wait and see when I get mine back from the body shop as to what/if any wiring provisions are in the steering column/under the dash. I got a column from a 91 gasser 150 that had cruise, so I hope I will at least have that portion taken care of (steering wheel buttons, clock spring). I have removed the clockspring from that column, with hopes of being able to install it in my column, so long as the harness is in my column for the clock spring.
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:12 pm

Some '91s without cruise are pre-wired in the dash harness, some are not.
To check, unplug the clockspring connector and see if there are 2 wires into it, or 5.

Under the hood is easy to tell if it's pre-wired, the plug may be hanging near the funny flat triangle punched into the fenderwell (where the cruise module would mount to), or it won't be present at all.

Be careful whenever you have the column removed or take the column apart, as the clockspring MUST be in the correct position, otherwise it'll get broken.
Don't spin the wheel with the column loose from the box or removed.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Fri May 25, 2012 7:40 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the additonal info for the cruise. My truck is a late 91 (built 7-91) so I am now hopeful that my SBEC is wired to handle the cruise control like the 92-93 trucks were. If so, this would explain why I DO have the wiring for the cruise motor (vacuum accuator for the cable to the injection pump) at the fenderwell on the drivers side (by the triangular stamping on the inner fender well), but I DON"T have the wiring under my dash by the parking brake release for the cruise module (from my research at the dodge dealer these were used to handle the cruise control on 90-91 trucks).

I have removed the clockspring and cruise buttons from my parts column I sourced at the local juck yard, so I know the 2 wire/5 wire difference you mentioned. I have not disassembled the column that is in my truck yet to see if it is wired for the cruise clock spring (5 wire arrangment). Do you know if I should expect tho find this wiring existing in my column if I do have the wiring under the hood for the cruise motor? And is there a way to know if my late 91 uses the SBEC for cruise control duties? I wasn't sure if anyone had info on serial number breaks, build dates, or a way for the dealer to scan my SBEC to see if it has the cruise control capabilites? Is there wiring I could look for in the harness that comes from the SBEC that would be there if so equipped? My 91 Chrysler service manual only shows wiring on the diesels that uses the seperate control module under the dash. Maybe if someone has a service manual and wiring diagram for a 92-93 truck could indicate which wires from the SBEC are used for the cruise?

Thanks
Steve
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Fri May 25, 2012 5:59 pm

I have a '92, not sure of the build date, and it has the cruise stuff under the hood but not under the dash. Nothing in the column harness or the main cab harness. Yours is probably the same.
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby FourSpeedSteve » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Well I finally had a chance to dig into my truck, and it turns out I must have gotten lucky! The wiring in the brake light switch, steering column, and under the hood all are there, and apparently work! I did have to install the clockspring with CC provisions, but the harness was there under the clockspring, and plugged right in. After installing, I checked for voltage under the hood at the servo harness (4-wire plug for the cruise servo) and the on/off switch did infact control 12V power at the plug. Because all of this works, and I don't have any provisions for the 90-91 Diesel CC module under the dash, I am starting to think that my late 91 (built 7-91) is set-up to use the SBEC for the cruise control operation. My 91 service manual doesn't show this, but if someone has a '92 wiring diagram for the CC system, it would be great. That way I could check the pin-outs on the SBEC, and if they are working with the switched on the steering wheel. Any help is appreciated!

PS, I need to post some pics of the truck, as I just got it back from the body shop. It sure is pretty :)
FourSpeedSteve
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:13 pm

Lucky bugger! :P
I'm going to just put switches in the dash instead of farting around with a clockspring. I have the wheel with the switches, but the CS is bad. Story of my life....... :cry:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby braptor52 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:50 am

any update on this cruise control swap? i have a 91.5 with the plug under the hood on drivers side an was wondering what else i need. my column has cruise buttons on it as well but i never saw an empty plug under my dash
braptor52
fuel pin?

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Here's a twist on EARLY 1991 that also applies to 1990, which I just learned about over the weekend.
On the non-intercooled trucks there is a module that is screwed on the inboard screws for the hood release cable.

This module is also part of the cruise control system.

I have access to several intercooled 1991s, plus my own 1991.5 1 ton flatbed and this module does not exist on them, at least in the same place and shape.
Adding insult to injury, the cruise servo itself, on a 1990 and early 1991, MAY be different from 1991.5.

This cruise module may well exist ONLY on the 1990 and EARLY 1991 trucks.
IIRC, on the 1991.5 and 1992/93 trucks, the cruise "module" is part of the ECM.

1992 and 1993 share the same cruise servo with each other.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Return to Electrical