Voltage Regulator

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Voltage Regulator

Postby peobryant » Mon May 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Well, my truck isn't charging... again. I'm almost certain it's the voltage regulator (again) so I have a few questions.

Why does my truck eat regulators? It seems like every other month my truck stops charging, I throw another regulator on and it's fine. I've been buying the AutoZone ones (they replace them under warranty) so I have a feeling that is the reason.

Secondly, I remember reading a post somewhere about a genuine Dodge or Mopar "Blue" Voltage Regulator and I seem to recall the particular user having very good luck with it, as in having it for years with no issue. I contacted the previous and original owner of my truck and asked him if he ever had trouble with voltage regulators (I didn't for about 4 years or so) and he doesn't recall ever replacing it. I looked through the records he gave me with the truck until about 10 years back and there is no mention of a regulator, which leads me to believe I'm just getting junky ones. So, anyone know the "Blue" regulator I'm on about? I think it was BEARKILLER that had it.
Parker
1991 Dodge Ram D350, Cummins Turbo Diesel, A518
1972 Mercedes-Benz 220D, OM615 Diesel, 4 Speed Manual
peobryant
14mm rotor

Re: Voltage Regulator

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon May 21, 2012 9:55 pm

Go down to the junkyard and look for anything from the early '70s to the early '90s that has a FACTORY MoPar regulator on it and put it on your truck.
Even the older front wheel drives, mini-vans and FS vans have them.
If you see more than 1, buy a spare, just in case.

My '91 flatbed 1 ton was eating regulators UNTIL I found a mid-80's one and plugged it in, now no more problems.
Same deal with the old carhauler, same remedy.

This stuff they sell to-day is junk, just PURE junk. :evil:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: Voltage Regulator

Postby Pensacola diesel » Wed May 23, 2012 6:56 pm

You might also check the alternator plug for good clean contacts and a tight fit. Also add a dedicated ground wire from the regulator either to the engine or all away to the battery. Just my two cents, Mike.
Pensacola diesel
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical