Speedo and odometer don't work

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Speedo and odometer don't work

Postby Exekiel » Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Hello, I posted this question on another forum but nobody cared to even guess, hope someone here can help Me since I have not figured it out yet.
I pulled the dash and got a look at the speedometer, it does not have gears inside but a electric motor that turns the odometer and another one that turns the speedometer but looks like a clock. I pulled out everything I could and cleaned the electric pins, etc. Now when I put the key on the run position the needle goes straight to 25mph and no mater how fast I go when I drive it will stay right there. Before it was always at 0mph
I also pulled the gear at the transfer case cleaned it and put it back together, it all looked fine and all turned just fine. I followed the wires going to this sensor and the one on top of the TC back to the main harness, the wires look fine with no visible cuts.

Thanks for any help.
1993 f350 with a 5.9l ctd and getrag
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Speedo and odometer don't work

Postby denman » Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 am

When speedo and odo are both out it suggests a problem with the feed from below, don't ask how I know. I used a small cordless drill to spin the input shaft (with key "on") to see if the speedo worked. I finally determined that it was a moisture problem where the block terminal plugs into the VSS, so filled the VSS side with dielectric grease (vaseline would likely do instead) and sealed the outside of the block terminal with silicone sealer where the wires go into the little holes. It's worked fine for a couple of years since then. Good luck with yours, ..
1993 D350 with flatdeck and 5th wheel, Sat radio, CB, GPS, tabbed KDP/repl front main seal, synthetic lubes and Si brake fluid,
denman
smoke screw?

Postby Exekiel » Thu May 24, 2012 2:34 am

Thanks, I will get a new one and see if that helps.
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Exekiel » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:32 am

Well I just want to post back on the progress I'm making on this subject. I got a speedometer sensor and after installing it things are the same as before nothing changed. Is there any way to test the receiver on the dash? Could a bad PCM be parts of this problems?
Btw My power windows don't work either :mad: .
Thanks.
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mike337 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:40 am

http://www.speedometergears.com in Richmond. 800-446-2880, the have the parts to fix it or can do the work also. Did you look at the stickys in http://www.dieseltruckresource.com under 1st Gen?
1989 Ramcharger with 93 Cummins 6BT de-intercooled and a 518, 90 W250 chassis D61/D71 3.07 gears, KDP killed, 4" exhaust, BHAF.

1996 2500 Cummins stock, 4" exhaust, KDP needs killing.
Mike337
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Exekiel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:29 am

I looked in the sticky but the one they picture looks nothing like the one I have on this 92 w250, it shows gears I can replace where the one I have is impossible to open and there are no gears like the ones explained there.
Thank for the link I will give them a call and see if they can figure out if the receiver is the problem. Meanwhile is there anything else I can do? I follow the wires from the sensors to the engine bay and they look just fine.
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:17 am

Have you tested the continuity of the wiresor to see if you are getting power down there?
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby Exekiel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:13 pm

dazedandconfused wrote:Have you tested the continuity of the wiresor to see if you are getting power down there?

No I have not, what type of voltage should it be getting there?

Thanks.
Exekiel
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical