battery keeps going dead how do i fine the cause?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: battery keeps going dead how do i fine the cause?

Postby 78fordf150ranger » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:22 am

Okay so I have narrowed it down to wire number 49 on the bulkhead disconnect (ignition) I unhooked my gnition switch from the colum and still have a 12volt draw. What on circuits could be tied into this. And with the number 15 fuse removed and the red (49) wire not hooked up to the battery I get 5 volts I assume this is normal. With number 15 fuse in and 49 still unhooked 12 volt draw.

This is really frustrating
78fordf150ranger
fuel screw!!!!

Postby PToombs » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:16 pm

Relax, you're on the right track and getting closer. The draw seems to be thru the #15 fuse. That feeds the cargo lamp switch and indicator light, glovebox light, power mirror switch, radio, (memory I think) map light up by the message center, dome lights and underhood lamp, and the "key in the switch" lamp. (halo)

I'd check all the lights and make sure they go off, and they are in place. I read that someone had their dome lamp fall down inside the cab and was on and couldn't be seen.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. :mrgreen: (pun intended!)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Make any more progress?
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby KDubya » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 am

If I may, I'd like to point out something. With your meter set to measure "Voltage", you are completing the circuit back to the battery. When you say "Draw", you are meaning "current" draw as in amps. In order to measure and find your current draw you need to set your meter to measure current and start over with pulling fuses. If it's a newer style ohm meter, it would be a good idea to take the fuse out of the meter for current measurement and make sure that fuse is good before going any further.
KDubya
smoke screw?

Previous

Return to Electrical