What Alternator Do I Need?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

What Alternator Do I Need?

Postby azsnow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:21 am

I have searched and searched and have not been able to find a clear answer anywhere! I recently replaced the Alternator on my truck, and the belt is loose as hell! BTW, its a new belt as well. I bought the 78 AMP, but they also offer a 100 AMP for my 84 D150. Not sure which one I need. There is no way of knowing if the PO replaced it with a cheaper unit. Anyone have any info on this?
azsnow
fuel screw!!!!

Re: What Alternator Do I Need?

Postby BILTIT » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Filling in your sig will help us know what truck you have and more about it.

Did you buy the same belt that was on it or just go by the application. Do you have air conditioning? possibly get a belt for A/C and dont have A/C?

Did you run out of room to tighten the belt? You should be able to adjust the alt to tighten the belt up. Pics always help get a quicker answer too.
Derek B.
2003 QuadCab, Tater 62/65 341cw, Smarty Touch SW9, Full Billet trans.
91.5 W250, coolertubz, HE351CW, PS IC, Alcans, GVOD, Valair DD, bags, crossover.
1974 Pontiac Ventura,best of 11.97 at 112 so far.
Aluminum heads and roller cam on the way.
BILTIT
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 pm

His truck is a 84 D150 with a 318 in it. The best thing to do is set the alternator in mid/lower part of adjustment and wrap a string around it tight and measure the string. That will get you the length of the belt you need.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby azsnow » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm still locked out of posting pics or updating my avatar because I only have 11 posts thus far. I have AC, ran out of room to tighten the belt, the alt is at the end of the bracket. I purchased the belt for the application according to the computer at the parts store. Its the same belt from all of them. 57 inches or so. Thanks for any info
azsnow
fuel screw!!!!

Postby azsnow » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:53 pm

Well, I discovered today that the Dodge alternator actually has three different holes for mounting....I used the correct one and now it fits! LOL! On another note, I am in the process of trying to make sence of the wiring mess that the PO left for me! There is in fact a light switch in the wiring, yes, one from a house....not sure what for, but its now in the trash as I am sure Dodge didn't intend for it to be there...just a wild guess!
azsnow
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical