I'm relaying head lights

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

I'm relaying head lights

Postby cmann250 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I figure that I'll be kind to the largely pristine factory harness in my truck and relay the lights. I read Jim Lane's sticky over on DTR about ten times and I can make a harness and stuff. I'm still confused about what relays I need.
Sticky: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... p?t=176263
I understand that the relays have a common power through and a common ground probably to the inner fender. Trigger wires come into the relays and wires go out to the head light socket. Mr. Lane's article leads me to believe that the stock harness plugs into the new harness. Therefore the stock harness would only act as a trigger wire and the new harness would carry the load. True? Also, I don't think I'm going to do the third relay like he did. No reason to make the deer stare all the harder into the lights.

All I really need to know is what relays need to be used because I'm more fluent in Chinese than electricity. I would also like encouragement to use shrink tubing instead of wire nuts :jumpsmile:
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Re: I'm relaying head lights

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:56 pm

If you use wire nuts we'll wire yours! :evil:

I didn't read whatever he has posted over there, but I have a few tips you can use or not.
#1, Upsize the ground wire at each headlight. They are about an 18 gauge wire, :roll: I used 12ga.
#2, Where the headlight wires come out of the bulkhead, there is 1 wire going in on the dash side and 2 wires coming out of each high and low terminal. (2 terminals, 4 wires) The wires separate and 1 goes to each side of the truck from the bulkhead.
#3, Almost any 12 volt 5 terminal relay should work.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:40 pm

Pete, I'm all for 12 gauge wire. I'll have to see if the wire left over from the new dryer at the farm is the right kind or not. That'd be handy since it's laminated 8) I did figure out the factory's wire splitting antics, too.

I may even shrink wrap my trailer brake wiring and the hack job I did on the alternator wiring.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby Hansen01 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:09 pm

:( Now your getting all fancy with shrink wrap and sthi. Your gonna make my truck jelous cause i keep putting that off
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:41 am

Hansen01 wrote::( Now your getting all fancy with shrink wrap and sthi. Your gonna make my truck jelous cause i keep putting that off

I assassinated the one and only scotch lock and the only reason I do wiring this way is because I HATE it. One hiccup out of the FSS and it's gone, I have a cable speedometer, I deleted the fuel heater and WIF light. Get the point? I don't like electricity :lol: That's why I have a 12v

It would be fast and simple to throw something together (after all, I have a PhD in Backwoods engineering) but doing a hack job just creates a headache later. I'd straight up trade you trucks :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am

As far as supplies go, I got the relays and the circuit breaker at O'Reilly's. For the circuit breaker, about anyone that has trailer brake controller stuff will have one. I'm tempeted to use my existing head light connectors because that's all that I haven't found yet, but that rules out doing a quick road side fix if something goes wrong. I'm currently cutting the yellow insulation off the butt connectors since uninsulated ones are evidently rare at common stores. Wire prices are unreal too, so I'm going to try to bum some at the farm.

I'll keep you posted whether it works or not.
Oh yea and my brights burnt out a while ago. The socket has power, so it's the bulb. Cheap sthi

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:25 am

You won't have any problems out of the mod,mine has been done for years and used often. Most of my wheelin and dealing is done at night after I close down the shop.

If those fancy projector headlight thinger ma jigs is out of the budget,look into the silverstar headlights. I've a set and they light up the road well
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:51 pm

When I did mine I used the existing wiring most of the way. I cut it at the bulkhead and spliced in the wires from the relays there. I used the plugs at the lights, but removed the terminal for the ground and soldered the 12 ga wire right to the old terminal. ;)
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:44 pm

ellis93 wrote:You won't have any problems out of the mod,mine has been done for years and used often. Most of my wheelin and dealing is done at night after I close down the shop.

If those fancy projector headlight thinger ma jigs is out of the budget,look into the silverstar headlights. I've a set and they light up the road well

Good to know. Looks like I have the green light because there's hundreds of feet of the right type of wire left over at the farm. 10/12 gauge should be sufficient. I hate those HIDs. I smoke out wise azz drivers that blind me with them.

PToombs wrote:When I did mine I used the existing wiring most of the way. I cut it at the bulkhead and spliced in the wires from the relays there. I used the plugs at the lights, but removed the terminal for the ground and soldered the 12 ga wire right to the old terminal. ;)

I think I'll replace alot of that dental floss that Dodge calls wiring just to be safe. I figure more juice means more heat. May as well get aquainted with the soldering gun because my trailer brakes intermittently work too :roll: Can I use the same solder as copper piping?

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby tampabayBill » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:44 am

NO !! DO NOT USE PLUMBING SOLDER !! Drop by the hardware store or radio shack and get some rosen core solder used in electrical/ electronic work.
93D250 CC LE, 62/65/13 S300, PDR cam,DDP3's, B&D IP, 366 GSK, M3 & timing device, Air Dog 150, Cooler tubes, 3 piece manifold, BHAF & 4" tbe, ported & O ringed, ARP studs, 60# springs 47RH & 3 disc conv., fp, aux trans cooler, fluid damper, 3:54 D70 w/trac-lok, rear sway bar, gauges = egt,boost, tach, 47RH & diff. temps.
Twins coming soon!
tampabayBill
fuel screw!!!!

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:04 am

tampabayBill wrote:NO !! DO NOT USE PLUMBING SOLDER !! Drop by the hardware store or radio shack and get some rosen core solder used in electrical/ electronic work.

Very good to know. Thank you.

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am

Oreillys has that solder as well.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:17 pm

RumbleFish wrote:Oreillys has that solder as well.

Menard's did too and they're on the edge of town, not the middle. That's my only beef with O'Reilly's

cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:53 pm

cmann250 wrote:Menard's did too and they're on the edge of town, not the middle.

Oh heaven forbid that you have to go another block! :lol:
pete

PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Try construction and seven traffic lights. Lafayette isn't a hick town :lol:

cmann250
14mm rotor

Next

Return to Electrical