current draw when key is off

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

current draw when key is off

Postby longscore » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:26 pm

Here is what I got.My truck wont keep a charge at all.I disconnected the negative battery wire,and then disconnected the hood light.With the key off and doors closed,i used a voltmeter on the negative terminal and negative battery wire.It was drawing 12.76 volts,and I could stand there watch it discharge.So I put the negative wire back on,and started pulling fuses and testing each circut,key off etc.when i got to the dome/interior light circut,it was drawing full voltage.I pushed little interuptor switch in the door jamb,and the draw only dropped by about a volt,so its live.The questions i have are 1-was there supposed to be a 30 amp fuse in that circut ,and 2-is there a common place for there to be a short in that circut?The 2 wires on it are a pink one an a 12 guage ,black wire with a red stripe.
And is the wiring diagram for the 1993 d250 the same as for the 1992 w250?I cant find the diagram for the 1992 w250 4x4.
longscore
fuel pin?

Re: current draw when key is off

Postby PToombs » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 pm

The wiring diagrams are the same as far as I have dug into mine. I have a '92 and and a '93 FSM. I would pull the drivers floor mat and look there, sometimes the wires wear thru and it could be shorting there.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:02 am

Does your key "halo" light work?
It could be that the timer has gone faulty.
You might also look into the headlight switch's "dome" function being shorted.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby longscore » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:25 pm

Thanks guys.I found it!It was a rub through where the wires run up into the steering colum.Pretty nasty up in there.I never reralised how much of a cluster-**** the wiring in these trucks is. Jeeze,I must be a glutton for punishment!
longscore
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical