Using Cruise Servo for high idle RE-VISITED.

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Using Cruise Servo for high idle RE-VISITED.

Postby Mark Nixon » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 pm

After some long, hard digging and following a link on DTR to-night, I dug up a topic on CumminsForum by "captmatthew1" where he outlines how to make a cruise module work as a stationary high idle, below is a copy of the gist of it from this link:
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93 ... te-up.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
captmatthew1 wrote:Items needed:
Spst on/off switch part # 275-1565
spst momentary on switch part # 275-1556
small spools of red, brown, and black wire. (or desired colors)
female quick disconnects part # 64-4039

These are all radio shack part numbers.

We will begin by opening the hood on the truck and find the cruise control servo. The cruise control servo is located on the drivers side inner fender.

Looking at the servo there is a harness attached to it with 4 wires. You will need to unhook the harness. The wire colors are:
Black
Blue/Red
Green/Red
Tan/Red
You will need to splice the black, green/red, and tan/red wires with enough wire to get into the cab. Make sure you make the wires easy for you to identify so you will know the difference once you get into the cab. I spliced the tan/red wire with a red wire the black wire with black and the green/red wire with brown. From here on we will be using my wire configuration as a mental illustration.

Figure out a good place for your switches and have everything ready top mount them.

Wire the black wire and the brown wire to your on/off switch. This grounds your vent switch in the servo. When given ground the vent is closed and when the circuit is opened it opens the vent.

You will now need to make another splice onto the black wire so that you can also ground the other circuit. Now wire the black wire and the red wire to the momentary on switch. This will make it so that you can temporarily ground the vacuum switch in the servo. When grounded the servo will take vacuum and when the circuit is opened will block off vacuum.

Now mount your switches and get ready to test your switches.

Start your truck and activate your cruise control by turning the cruise control switch to the on position.

Then turn on your on/off switch you just mounted. Then press the momentary on switch until the engine is at its desired speed.

Congratulations, you have just completed this write-up. Be ready for more writeups as I continue to modify my pickup. Enjoy!!

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: Using Cruise Servo for high idle RE-VISITED.

Postby bmoeller » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:17 am

Was looking to do that! :) Thanks! :D now, to see why the cruise isn't working to begin with...................... Fuse not blown. Could be the clock spring, I suppose. May just bypass the stock switch and run my own power switch.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical