LED tail light bulbs only?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

LED tail light bulbs only?

Postby Horus » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:18 pm

This coming week I wanted to refresh my gauge cluster and upgrade to 194 LED bulbs. While I am ordering them I thought I'd upgrade the rear running light/brake lights to LED as well. I know if you start messing with the front markers it turns into a project getting them to blink properly. Can I swap to LEDs in just the tail lights or will that cause a problem?

I'm fine with the stock front lights for now.
91.5 W250 Dodge 4X4 CTD. Getrag. DD Power pin removed, stock fuel cone back in. 366 spring. Power screw at stock depth. Stock turbo. Stock lift pump. Straight piped and Intercooled.

93 D250 Dodge club cab 2wd. All stock for now. Automatic.
Hard KOR Wheeler.
PNWJeep club member.
Horus
fuel screw!!!!

Re: LED tail light bulbs only?

Postby RumbleFish » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 am

I put leds in my tails and have zero problems. Where are you getting your dash lights? I got some off ebay and within a week, all but 2 out of the 9 I put in have quit.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:40 pm

LEDs are fine in the rear. I have a flatbed and put in the oval ones and no problems with the signals working or anything.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby bmoeller » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:49 pm

If you replace all the front and rear turn signal lights with LEDs, you'l need an electronic flasher. A standard one won't work. LEDs don't pull enough juice for the standard ones to work. Other option would be to add a resistor in both sides, but the replacement flasher would be better. No hacking wires.
NEW- '82 CREW cab dually. Cummins, NV5600, 205, D60/D80. :D Work in progress......

'93 W350, CTD, ext cab, 5spd., HTT modded H1C, 4" exhaust, Kelderman single bag. 537k and counting!

SOLD- '92 W250, CTD, ext cab, 5spd

SOLD- '99 3500, SO CTD, 5spd

Traded off- '97 3500 CTD, 416hp/892tq.

Obama loves America, like OJ loved Nicole...................
bmoeller
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:28 am

I have an electrical flasher. I put leds in the front and it did weird stuff. What do I need to fix that???
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby Horus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:04 am

Thanks for the help guys. I planned on getting the gauge cluster lights from Superbrightleds but the part numbers I've found in other writeups do not match anything on their site. I would still like to run LED bulds in the tail lights though. The more load I can take off the system the better. The headlights are getting relayed as well as the trailer light circuit, just like the 91. Well worth the effort.

RumbleFish wrote:I have an electrical flasher. I put leds in the front and it did weird stuff. What do I need to fix that???

This is why I'm not going to bother with the fronts. If you search you'll find a great writeup on how you can make it work, but its not plug and play.
91.5 W250 Dodge 4X4 CTD. Getrag. DD Power pin removed, stock fuel cone back in. 366 spring. Power screw at stock depth. Stock turbo. Stock lift pump. Straight piped and Intercooled.

93 D250 Dodge club cab 2wd. All stock for now. Automatic.
Hard KOR Wheeler.
PNWJeep club member.
Horus
fuel screw!!!!

Postby RumbleFish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 am

The led bulbs I used in my taillights I scored at a swapmeet, but I've seen them on ebay as well. Iiirc they have 32 leds and I'm happy with them. Some of the leds I've seen aren't too bright and a friend of mine got rear ended once because of that reason.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby BennyTownsend » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:37 am

Horus wrote:This coming week I wanted to refresh my gauge cluster and upgrade to 194 led light. While I am ordering them I thought I'd upgrade the rear running light/brake lights to LED as well. I know if you start messing with the front markers it turns into a project getting them to blink properly. Can I swap to LEDs in just the tail lights or will that cause a problem?

I'm fine with the stock front lights for now.

Hello man were you able to swap the lights? Even I am looking to get new lights so please help me with your experience
BennyTownsend
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical