Single wire self-exciting alternator retrofit?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Single wire self-exciting alternator retrofit?

Postby vtuck2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Guys,

Within the last couple of days, while googling for help with a wiring problem on my '91 D350, I found a discussion of, and a link to a source for, a NipponDenso 136 amp, single wire, self-exciting alternator.

As I understood the discussion, the guy who posted the information was saying that this newly offered NipponDenso alternator:

a) will fit the first generation Dodge Cummins trucks;

b) makes it possible to do away with the unreliable external voltage regulator AND the original Power Control Module; and/or,

c) is just the ticket when retrofitting the Cummins engine into an application that does not have a Dodge PCM.

I am now chasing an electrical problem with my '91 (non-intercooled) D350. I just replaced the external voltage regulator yet again. The sealant goo was dribbling down the firewall from the backside of the "old" regulator which was not very old at all.

I've now removed the "Heater Control Module". Before removing this, the "WAIT TO START" and the "WATER IN FUEL" lights would shine continuously whenever the ignition key was on or the engine running. After removing this module the lights went out. This module is a $499 (plus sales 8% sales tax!) dealer item! Luckily, the truck seems to run happily without this module.

I have another electrical problem that may or not be related. The wipers began to blow their 20 amp fuse. After considerable trouble shooting, it appears that the failure appears to relate to the intermittent cycle and the high constant setting for the wipers. We've replaced the switch that goes on the side of the steering column with no improvement. We've tried to find out where this circuit "lives" as we suspect it is the root of the problem. At this point we suspect - but do not know - that the circuit is actually built into the wiper motor. The next step is to swap in another used wiper motor (from an '89 D350) in hopes that will fix the problem.

At this point I don't know that there is anything wrong with the PCM. But on the other hand, we still have not found the sucker. As of now we suspect that it is hidden inside some kind of "air box". We suspect this air box is inside the cab, under the dashboard, on the passenger side. This is the only place in or on the truck we haven't looked for the PCM except perhaps inside the fuel tank!

In summary, I don't know if these problems are separate or related. But if it becomes evident that I will have to replace the PCM, a $300 dollar dealer item, it will then become cost effective to explore whether a single wire self-exciting NipponDenso alternator might be a viable option.

Has anybody in here been there and done that or otherwise have any light to shed on this?

Thanks!

Vernon
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Re: Single wire self-exciting alternator retrofit?

Postby lazyjoe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:19 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1087&start=15

Here's the link to the problem I had with my truck. It turned out to be the pcm. It is located under the drivers fender, behind the battery. Hope this helps.
Joe
93, W350, auto, DTT convertor, 4.10's, GDS 60mm with 14cm, piston l/p, 2nd gen air horn. 366 spring. boost, and pyro.
91, W250, 360 gas, auto, 4.10
95, 2500, 4/4, 5" turbo back. So far.
lazyjoe
fuel screw!!!!

Postby vtuck2 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Hey Joe.

Thanks for your reply. However, I'm not sure to what extent the information contained in the link you provided, applies to me. A common problem I've had is that my trucks are all early early models that pre-date the changes that began with intercoolers in the second half of 91 (i.e. mine are "pre 91.5" models). Also, in my two trucks that have automatic transmissions (an '89 D350 and a '90 D250) these do not have overdrives. The '90 has a high ratio rear end (3.09?) which is what they did in the early trucks to give decent top speed. The point is that the PCMs changed too. Or so I'm given to understand.

Anyway, I appreciate your information on the location of the PCM. And although I will certainly look there, I have a schematic that a dealership provided for my VIN# that indicates the thing hides in a little niche inside the "inlet housing". If I can figure out how to do so, I will attach the drawing to this post.

Regards to all.

Vernon
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:55 pm

Vernon, you may have to put it on Photobucket like a picture to post it on here. Dazedandconfused has a link in his sig on how to post pics here.

On my 92 there is a small box that controls the intermittant wipers. My truck didn't have this originally, but I added it to have the interval wipers. (and the switch) It should be under the dash, right of the steering column, up on the metal bracket with the buzzers. It's about 2" x 3" and 3/4" thick with a flat 8 terminal plug.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby vtuck2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:03 am

Hello PT. Thanks.

V
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:46 am

For what it's worth, my Factory Service Manual leads me to believe that the motors are the same whether the truck has intermittent wipers or not.

Dodge's trouble shooting table reads as follows:
Factory Service Manual wrote: Motor will not run at any speed -> Check fuse -> Replace blown fuse-> New fuse blows -> Remove motor connector -> Replace fuse
If the new fuse is good, replace the motor. If the fuse blows, check the switch and wiring.

In my opinion, the best $100 I spent on this truck was a Factory Service Manual. They can be found here: http://www.genosgarage.com/Dodge-Factor ... ducts/241/
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:14 am

PToombs wrote:Vernon, you may have to put it on Photobucket like a picture to post it on here. Dazedandconfused has a link in his sig on how to post pics here.

Link below in my sig will show how to post pictures if you need it.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:19 am

cmann250 wrote:In my opinion, the best $100 I spent on this truck was a Factory Service Manual. They can be found here: http://www.genosgarage.com/Dodge-Factor ... ducts/241/

Or do what I did, the soon to be in-laws gave me a FSM on CD ($35), so I took it to work and printed the whole darn thing off :mrgreen:
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby cmann250 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:35 am

CumminsPower59 wrote:Or do what I did, the soon to be in-laws gave me a FSM on CD ($35), so I took it to work and printed the whole darn thing off :mrgreen:

That wasn't in the cards for me :lol: Heck the Dodge book is about 2" thick plus the 1"thick diesel book in the case of my '89
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby CumminsPower59 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 am

cmann250 wrote:
CumminsPower59 wrote:Or do what I did, the soon to be in-laws gave me a FSM on CD ($35), so I took it to work and printed the whole darn thing off :mrgreen:

That wasn't in the cards for me :lol: Heck the Dodge book is about 2" thick plus the 1"thick diesel book in the case of my '89

Normally, I would have just printed off the few pages I needed, but there was no "Adult Supervison" at work for six weeks, so I took the time to print it off, all 1800 pages (900+ sheets of paper), and put it in an old school GM Parts book binder. Now I can keep it in the truck, and CD in the house for references...
Ike

91 W350 SRW, 3.07's, NV4500, 370's, THD LPPP, Super HX40, 2nd gen IC swap, BHAF, Isspro's, 2" lift, 285's on 3rd gen 17"'s.
04 VW Jetta Wagon TDI 5speed
CumminsPower59
14mm rotor

Postby vtuck2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Guys,

Thanks for the guidance on posting images.

Here is a schematic I acquired from a local dealership. It is based on my 91 D350's VIN#. This truck came from the factory as a commercial cab and chassis. Based on some research, it appears that it has the largest available axles - hence the highest aggregate towing capacity of any of the Dodge trucks for that year. I don't remember the total but it is up there in "hauling a medium size bulldozer" territory.

http://s1183.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... e.jpg.html

I still have not found where the "inlet housing" lives. However, it can only be under the dashboard on the passenger side as that's the only place we haven't looked for it. Nonetheless, based on one of your responses, I will look for it on the driver side fender well behind the battery.

Regards to all.

Vernon
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Postby dazedandconfused » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Pop the glovebox door loose and let it lay down. That would be my guess as to were it would be based on that picture.
Big Andy
1983 Dodge D150 that has been repowered with a 93 Cummins/518 running gear AKA The Ugly Duck! I would much rather build them then buy them.[
dazedandconfused
14mm rotor

Postby vtuck2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks, Andy

VT
vtuck2
fuel pin?

Postby PToombs » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:57 pm

That does look sorta like the heater box doesn't it?

V, I met a guy last week that has a non I/C C&C truck he bought, he said the VIN tag on the door post lists a 14,500 GVW. It must be about the same as yours. :shock: I've never seen one that high.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical