Problem:Alternator, Starter, CPS etc...

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Problem:Alternator, Starter, CPS etc...

Postby Comp.ign.Junkie » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:21 am

I have a 93' Dodge W250 diesel. 6 months ago I did the quick fix for the killer dowel pin and had to re-install and adjust the clearance on the CPS (crank shaft position sensor). I thought I adjusted wrong it wrong because I was driving down the road and all my electronics 1 by 1 started shutting down. After I got it home I replaced the alternator and battery. Then my truck wouldn't start. Solenoid clicked once so I thought it is the solenoid and did some testing and found the starter relay was faulty. What confuses me is that starter worked just fine before , but once I park it And don't use the starter it fails. So what I am wondering what's you all have to say about this.
Comp.ign.Junkie
fuel pin?

Re: Problem:Alternator, Starter, CPS etc...

Postby Mark Nixon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am

First and always CHECK GROUNDS and battery connections.
Besides the obvious larger ground on the battery, there are other, smaller grounds, 1 by the battery, at the core support, another behind the head at the fire wall.

2nd, if I read it right, it's possible you have burned a fusible link, there's a bundle of these near the grid heater solenoid pack, which is located near the driver's side hood hinge.
They are typically the "spaghetti looking" group of wires that's not wrapped in the harness.
Check them for burnout by looking for burned spots and by pulling on the insulation, if the insulation stretches, they are burned.

Another thing that happens, with an automatic, is the linkage gets worn and won't engage the starter in park, to check for this, try to start it in neutral.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Re: Problem:Alternator, Starter, CPS etc...

Postby Comp.ign.Junkie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:12 am

I thought that safety switch on the side of the tranny is for that reason?
Comp.ign.Junkie
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical