no start or crank at key

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

no start or crank at key

Postby Dodgecrawler2011 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:20 pm

Bought a 92 tht had a gas motor cab swapped over. The previous owner swapped over the dash too from yhe diesel so its not a hack job. Problem im having it it wont crank with the key. The key has power goin to it. It will start off jumping the starter. Also the volt gauge kindw goes with the throttle high you rev the higher the gauge goes. Any ideal if these are connected to each other or where to start
Dodgecrawler2011
fuel screw!!!!

Re: no start or crank at key

Postby cougar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:18 pm

Start at the top of this section that says "93 wiring diagrams, all of them". Sounds like a few things got miss wired. 92 and 93 have the same wiring so you can use those diagrams. For the no start, I'd check the starter relay on the fender to start with. If the alternator is following the engine, then the regulator is not working. More like bypassed to a fixed resistance.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:24 am

Tell me, is it an automatic or a 5 speed?
If I read your comments correctly, the PO did swap the dash and engine harnesses, correct?

1st thing I'd start with is body grounds, inside AND out.

In the engine compartment, there's a pair of grounds on the core support, near the battery and left side radiator "clamp", there's another behind the head, on the firewall.
On the interior there's several harness grounds on a gold-colored plate to the right of the brake pedal, make sure they are present and tight.
Be sure that the lower screws that hold the dash to the body are not missing and that they are tight.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Dodgecrawler2011 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Yes its a 5 speed. And it basically just swapped cab. He used everything from the diesel. I assume that would cause it to overcharger to. And there is two black wires and the end of the positive cable the dont go nowhere there are cut. They lead to what looks like a big fuse?. Do they go to the positve or the negative
Dodgecrawler2011
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Mark Nixon » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 pm

Those 2 black wires WERE attached to the positive cable's clamp bolt. They are for the grid heaters.
Not saying you're dumb, but have you tried depressing the clutch pedal to start the truck?

Since you mentioned cut wires, look for a pink and brown wire in an oval connector, the brown wire runs down to the solenoid on the starter, the pink one is a power lead for the electrical system and also connects to the battery terminal.

I'm probably going to have to get pics of the positive cable and starter set-up. :lol:

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby Dodgecrawler2011 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Lol. Yes I have pushed the clutch in. Im hoping its jus the ground. Everything in the cab works. Dome lights all of it. He kinda knew what he was doin.
Dodgecrawler2011
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Hansen01 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Tryed crossing the Neutral safety switch thing?
1990 dodge W250 cummins 6 speed. 4in diamond eye, a turbo,and a pump :D
Under construction...
Hansen01
14mm rotor

Postby Dodgecrawler2011 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:24 pm

No havent messed with it a whole lot just put fenders and all that on to keep everything dry. Ill dig into the electronics this weekend
Dodgecrawler2011
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical