bad dash ground

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

bad dash ground

Postby Dodgecrawler2011 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:46 pm

Po had the cab painted inside and out. I put in a nee dash. Blinkers brake lights and blower motor does not . work. Dk if it was working fine before because I put the truck rest the way together. I did not remove the paint. Where it bolts to kick panel. Could this be the cause. Also wipers will not work. Motor does not come on.
Dodgecrawler2011
fuel screw!!!!

Re: bad dash ground

Postby BobS » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:53 am

In most cases 99.99% of the grounding problems found in these old & nearly antique Dodge trucks can be eliminated by the simple addition of using an external or internal tooth lock washers and a simple dab of waterproof grease or even petroleum jelly. The "in order" combination would be the fastener head followed by the tooth washer, a dab of grease, the bolt going through the panel attaching hole, another tooth washer, another dab of grease, then the connector[s] followed by a flat washer, then a lock washer, and finally the nut. This would also apply to the dash's metal substructure to the kick panels, if you have a 91.5 or earlier do this to the voltage regulator mounting screws, and the addition of a grounding lead from the rear of the engine to the firewall, and from the rear bottom portion of the cab corners to the bed. Avoid using crimp connectors unless you use waterproof grease on the wire ends before inserting. There is nothing more difficult that finding a defective crimp on connector that has oxidized the connection point and becomes an intermittent connection. I believe in the fix it right the first time and then forget about it forever. Haphazard fixes are problems forever.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical