Charging problems, voltage regulator?

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Charging problems, voltage regulator?

Postby toyota231 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Ok I've got a 91.5 w250 4x4. It developed a charging problem yesterday. It's only charging around 12.02 volts. Had it tested at oreillys and they went ahead and warrantied the alternator. I put it on today and still charging the same. Well it started storming on me so I came inside and thought I'd ask opinions on what it could be.

So the question do you guys think it would be the voltage regulator? Do the regulators typically just go out or can they about "half" go out? As soon as I can get back to it I'm going to check the connections but I've been doing some electrical cleaning up lately and have been checking all that but I will again. Forgot to mention my truck has an external regulator on the firewall.
toyota231
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Charging problems, voltage regulator?

Postby rockbuggy4x4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm

I'm not sure about the regulator question, but definitely check the connections.
Jimmy
--> '85 cab w/ '89 engine and trans stock with minor pump tweaks and a flatbed. **soon to get lots of goodies**
--> '95 jimmy not so stock

rockbuggy4x4
fuel screw!!!!

Postby toyota231 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:15 pm

That I will do. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I can its going to be storming all night here. I bought a new regulator so ill change that tomorrow while I check stuff. It just confuses me cause I've never saw one actually keep charging between 11.6 and 12 volts. Dang electrical crap. I hate electrical gremlins.
toyota231
fuel screw!!!!

Postby toyota231 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Well I'm happy to say it stopped raining long enough for me to put a new voltage regulator on and that seems to have fixed the problem. Thank goodness.
toyota231
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical