Warm Spot on Bottom Of Steering Column

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Warm Spot on Bottom Of Steering Column

Postby matthewh » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

So I've noticed on the '93 W350 that the bottom of the column gets a touch warm while normal operating, but when i run the Heat or A/C on the top 2 speeds, the column get really warm, enough you can't hold your hand on it for long. Is this a failing ignition switch, or do i need to do the heater switch relay i read about on DTR?
I'd like to use the A/C on full blast, but fear burning something up.
Thanks in Advance
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Re: Warm Spot on Bottom Of Steering Column

Postby ellis93 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:13 pm

It's normal dodge reaction to any kind of amps being drawn. Almost everything in the fuse box pulls fire from the spaghetti noodle wire feed ignition switch. Mine does it and has for the last 9yrs,now that I said something about it,it'll melt down tomorrow :lol:
If your uncomfortable with it then yes put relays on the fan,or check the amp draw of the fan motor itself.....it could be failing,have dirty brushes or burnt armature
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby matthewh » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:56 am

I'll check the amp draw and see whats up. I'm uncomfortable with it because it gets hotter as the fan runs longer, I'm just afraid its gonna burn down the truck. I do like that fact the A/C works good in in, and wish I could use it more on long trips
'93 W350 5spd Getrag, 4.10 gears, 83k miles and counting, Mods: LPPP AKA Ma Dually
'54 Dodge M37 6.2/700R4/205, 5.89 gears, WC rear axle
matthewh
14mm rotor

Postby BobS » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:08 am

My weak link was the fuse holder and fuse. While in the highest position it blew the fuse and slightly melted the fuse holder block where the fuse was seated. I replaced the fuse and now never use the high position anymore. That originally happened in 2004.......

I figure the cause was a combination of a partial air obstruction and a fan motor that probably needs to be replaced. To me the relay method is a bandaid repair fix that doesn't fix the real problem.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby Mark Nixon » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:34 am

BobS wrote:...To me the relay method is a bandaid repair fix that doesn't fix the real problem.

My sentiments, exactly.
I cringe when I hear of people putting headlamps on relays and not troubleshooting the real cause, which is normally ground or headlight switch related.

Mark.
Mark Nixon

Postby PToombs » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:43 pm

Mark Nixon wrote:
BobS wrote:...To me the relay method is a bandaid repair fix that doesn't fix the real problem.

My sentiments, exactly.
I cringe when I hear of people putting headlamps on relays and not troubleshooting the real cause, which is normally ground or headlight switch related.

Mark.

The real problem is the itty bitty wires used in the headlight circuit. When I put the relays in my truck, I was shocked by the size of the ground wire from the headlights. It was a 16ga wire. I soldered a 12ga on the terminal and ran it to the core support, that alone made a difference in the light output.

I'm sure the wires to the fan are marginal for the load they carry. IMO a relay for high would be a good idea, along with checking the amp draw and grounds on it.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby ihredneck » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

The 2nd gens had a problem too with the blower fan running the column wires could get hot and cause a fire...lol! But I agree with PToombs on the small gauged wires run. I have seen the same thing countless times on adding accessories to vehicles. Like sipping pepsi through a coffee straw...something is gonna bust :lol:
1992 W350 RCLB 5 Speed Locking 3.54s Flatbed completely stock it's whole life (for now) 117K on the clock (In the middle of a frame off restoration)
1992 W350 RCLB Rag Locking 4.10s Flatbed basket case - All the spare parts left from the other W350 & I still have a whole truck left...
1999 RCSB 1500 24v NV5600
2000 VW Jetta TDI
ihredneck
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical