Trailer plug woes

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Trailer plug woes

Postby 9312v » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:54 pm

The previous owner did a hack job like most with the trailer wiring, that and a bad connector it kept spitting the trailer side out. He used all red wires for his wiring and the old plug is so corroded I wasn't able to take it apart and switch wires over. He had run two wires from the front of the truck ones connected to power the other to ground I wired them as aux and ground.

So right now this is how I have it wired.

brn/grn -as- RT wire
blk/yel -as- tail lights
purple/black -as- reverse(no switch in trans but its there)
and then one wire for LT

I think i may have connected a terminal at the plug wrong as I don't have any of those, hazards don't work and neither do tail lights/brake lights. However when I hit the brakes the controller goes to direct voltage( 11.5v), with the running lights on it is saying 1.2 v

I am not sure where to tap into the harness for the trailer brakes.
93 w250, 366 spring, BD pin, 5x12 Injectors from Eric, nv4500, super B, high volume low pressure LP, PS I/C
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Trailer plug woes

Postby cmann250 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I generally start over on wiring like this :lol: As far as colors, I don't know because it seems as though everyone wires them different.

I have this: http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehi ... 9931180427

Green is one stop/turn
Yellow is the other stop/turn
Brown is your running (tail) lights

My Tee plug has the option for reverse lights, but I never pull a trailer that has them so I didn't wire them up.

Hazards are the same function as the stop/turn and then the running lights are the other half of that same bulb.

As far as the brakes, the outbound wire (usually blue) goes back to the plug, so you don't tap the harness per se.
Caleb, Certified Shade Tree Mechanic Extraordinaire :mrgreen:
The 1stgen.org black sheep

"Whatever!" - Coach Jerry Smith
cmann250
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:30 pm

Caleb, it depends on the trailer plug. The RV plug used by campers, and I've seen them on big trucks now too, have different wiring colors than the regular plugs.
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby 9312v » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:09 pm

When I attempted to wire it today I just used the first diagram that came up. When I get time this week I plan on using this diagram http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Just as clarification I have the heavy duty Hopkins 7 pin plug from tsc

I'm also not going by color because the wires that were used were in ok condition.

I guess I'm asking where to tap into the factory harness for the trailer brakes
93 w250, 366 spring, BD pin, 5x12 Injectors from Eric, nv4500, super B, high volume low pressure LP, PS I/C
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Postby ellis93 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:25 pm

The new receptacle didn't come with a diagram?

You'll find no wire to supply power to the trailer brakes in the factory harness,I had to run one
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 9312v » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:36 pm

It did come with a diagram but I had put it on a while ago and lost the box.

I think my problem with the brakes is one of the wires coming from the front is from the controller. I was under the impression it had a different source. However if the rest of my wiring is correct everything else should work.

I am also going off pin location and function not colors.
9312v
fuel screw!!!!

Postby mopardad1 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:28 am

Hopkins Towing has a 4 pin 7 pin RV combination truck plug that is similar to what new truck manufacutures are using. This would eliminated the need for the 4 pin adapter and make wiring splices much less. Besides, its all one unit, pn 47185.
mopardad1
fuel pin?

Postby brandonmgreer » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:04 pm

For simplicity, this is pretty idiot proof

Brown - running lights
Yellow - Left turn/stop - yellow has an "L" in it
Green - Right turn/stop - green has an "R" in it

Depending on the application, most older stuff the turn signals are the stop as well. You always tap in back towards the tail lights because the stop/turn is already isolated, i.e. with a turn signal on and the brakes applied, one will burn solid and the other will flash. Alot of the newer stuff actually has a stop circuit.

This is the most common issue when you see someone's trailer lights going haywire when the running lights are on and they are braking with a turn signal... this scenario can also burn out bulbs and flashers as well.

To thwart any other stupid problems(most electrical problems are ground related), hook up the ground on the truck side of the plug to the reciever hitch, and the trailer side to the tongue of the trailer. Don't rely on the ball for your ground. Use a star washer with lock nuts/washers and make sure you get it in the metal, past the paint. If you always make sure your connections are clean and un corroded, you will save yourself alot of headaches!
brandonmgreer
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 762frmafr » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

9312v wrote:When I attempted to wire it today I just used the first diagram that came up. When I get time this week I plan on using this diagram http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

Just as clarification I have the heavy duty Hopkins 7 pin plug from tsc

I'm also not going by color because the wires that were used were in ok condition.

I guess I'm asking where to tap into the factory harness for the trailer brakes

Trailer brake power comes from the brake controller.
762frmafr
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JohnT92D350# » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:27 am

Here's what I installed on my own truck. This product will tap into your vehicles wiring for trailer lights. It basicly takes the load of the trailer lights an not the vehicle. It's probably like a relay I think.

Take a look at this. vvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-119186- ... B001P2H6CW

John
Houston,Tx
JohnT92D350#
smoke screw?

Return to Electrical