alt /volt reglutor

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Re: alt /volt reglutor

Postby gobcumminstruck » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 am

ok i ll try
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby gobcumminstruck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:42 am

i try an new battery didnt chance an thing. i heard the volt gauge plug can cause an volt problem. i wiggy plug no change i unplug it no change. i know wend i trun fan on high chagning goes to 15.6 but its not running wend i hav an charging problem. i know its boiling mine battery cause on top is damp. i dont know what to do now
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:51 am

Dude, you've got to give us a break on your writing skills. I kinda blew them off since I didn't expect this to go on this long, but remote troubleshooting an electrical problem is tough enough without having to troubleshoot your posts as well.

Now then, when you ran a wire from your battery over to your regulator, how did you connect it to the regulator? Was it connected well to both the battery terminal and the regulator post?

Is there a voltage difference between the output terminal of the alternator and the positive post of the battery?
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby gobcumminstruck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:14 am

Ok m sorry. I made an wire, cramp and heat shrink the ends. I bought an regulator pulg and got an heat shrink style butt connector on that end and an ring end heat shrink style connector on battery end.

Yes the battery has 14.5 and on alternator is 14.6. The blue wire goes to alternator has 14.1 and field goes anywere from 5.5 to 12.5 somethimes it go from 8.5 to 10. Its constantly changing were its starts and stops at its not an constant or same spot it starts and stops at.

if i jump ignition wire at volt regulator wouldnt i need do the same at alternator?
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

So you hooked the wire up to the bolt that holds the clamp together? Sounds like a bad connection at the battery posts then, there's a .5 volt drop somewhere through that system. Try cleaning the top of the post off then touching your eyelet directly to the post.

You don't want to jump your field coils anywhere. One side of them is a ground, so you'd short you system and probably ruin your VR, and the other side needs a constantly-changing voltage that is supplied by the VR. That's why you're trying to get exact battery voltage to the VR, it uses that number to decide what the alternator should be charging at. If it thinks the system is .5 volts lower than it is then it's going to make the alternator charge at .5 volts higher. You need to find out where that .5 drop is.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby gobcumminstruck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 pm

So basically I'm going to go through the wiring system and search for a bad wire
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Kinda, but it's not like you're looking at each wire individually. You know the circuit the problem is on, you just need to check through it and see where your drop happens.

Like I said, hit the eyelet and the top of the battery post with sandpaper, then touch them directly together and see what happens. Also, don't do any of this with the key on. Breaking or completing the VR sense circuit with voltage going through it will ruin it, I've popped 3 this way myself.
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Postby gobcumminstruck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:07 pm

Sorry i meant the charging circuit. I'll clean both battery post tonight wend i get home. I'm can of confuse what eyelet u mean?
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby gobcumminstruck » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:56 pm

update i forgot to tell wend it happen i havnt got an chance to check anything cause i lost oil pressure and try get money to fix that problem. then wend thats done i tryto get this charging problem fix
gobcumminstruck
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Tacoclaw » Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:21 pm

Didn't see your reply, I meant the eyelet that you're using on the end of the voltage regulator wire that goes to the battery post. Give it a brush until copper is showing, then touch that spot to the also-cleaned battery post.

GL with your oiling problem. :yuck:
1990 W250 4x4
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Previous

Return to Electrical