having trouble with my charging system

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

having trouble with my charging system

Postby casej21 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:51 pm

this is on a a 93 d350. its only charging at 11.9v. battery is good only about a year old, had alternator tested at local parts house and tested good, replaced the external regulator which the PO installed with a napa unit went off the wiring diagram i found online. basically 12v ignition power to top prong on VR and then wire both prongs on VR to terminals on alternator, dont matter which one goes to which. then a ground wire from alternator to VR housing. also replaced battery terminal ends added big ground wire from block to frame and cleaned up other wire ends. what else should I be looking at?
casej21
fuel pin?

Re: having trouble with my charging system

Postby BobS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:43 am

Make sure that the 2 field leads in the original 93 harness are not connected to the alternator.
BobS

Creating jobs is a byproduct of making a PROFIT!

91.5 W250 NV4500 Conversion
89 D350 Stock
92 W250 Crew Cab finally in progress
86 D150 wannabe 4BT http://4btswaps.com/
BobS
14mm rotor

Postby JimmieD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 am

Like BobS said, and also make sure the external voltage regulator has a good clean, tight bare metal to bare metal connections where it attaches to body parts or firewall. On several I have added another jumper wire from VR body to vehicle sheet metal as auxiliary ground.

Also important that engine to body ground be clean bare metal to bare metal. Sometimes a battery cable can look just dandy but if you cut back the insulation a bit at connector it reveals a bunch of green corrosion all over individual wires at connector. Replace entire cable, it can't be cleaned.
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby casej21 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:31 pm

been busy just getting back to trying and figure this out. this truck isnt my DD but been putting things off till I get this fixed. I stole another alternator off another truck i have that was is good working order last time the truck was used. took that alternator in and had it tested before i put it on. well it tested bad. I went ahead and put it on the truck anyway. its still putting out only 12 volts. took a pair of jumper cables and made a ground from the alternator and VR to the battery to check if the VR was not getting grounded. NO Change. the VR has a 12 volts igntion to the top post and the orginal field leads are disconnected. I cleaned up ground ends and surfaces to ensure good ground. Im gonna take the original alternator back and have it retested. what is the best way to test these alternators, I dont feel these parts house testing units do a good job. Am I wrong?
casej21
fuel pin?

Return to Electrical