light switch replacement

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

light switch replacement

Postby 12V93 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:21 am

I am having issues with my dash lights coming on.
I believe it is in the switch (after a couple tries (some wiggling) they turn on).
I am guessing it is best to replace the switch (probably worn, worn out)?
If yes, what is a good place to get the part?
I have ran into some REAL CHEAP parts lately.
Buy cheap I mean CHEAP junk, would prefer a good long lasting parts.
The truck was parked for a while before I got it. The stock radio/cassette started working yesterday (kind of funny I had started looking at replacements the last couple days). :shock:

It has been getting driving 4-6 days a week since I bought the truck and after replaceing pump.

Thanks
12V93
fuel screw!!!!

Re: light switch replacement

Postby ellis93 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 am

I've had good luck out of borgewarner parts from O'Reilly.....after I put my headlights on relays. If you have standard bulbs it'll do fine.
Make sure the plugs female spade connectors are good and clean and have a tight fit.
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:28 am

I havent. I had 3 of them from oreillys go bad in my last 92 and my daughters neon (same headlight switch) went thru 4 of them. If it were me, I'd pony up for a mopar unit or hit the junk yard and grab a couple units. Make sure to cut the harness and get a new connector as well.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 am

Great now mine will go out tonight,thanks a lot :lol:

What kind of lights? Are your connections tight?
93 D250 ,5 speed,4.11s,k&n autometer tach pyro trans boost guages,GDS 60mm h1c 14cm,honed 5x10,hplp/reg,1/8 timing,M+H M2 fuel pin, tims cooler tubz
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby RumbleFish » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Both were stock save for Sylvania silver stars. My D350 even had leds on the drw fenders and gate, and the high beams on relays. On the daughters car it worked fine until you decided to use high beams. When the switch overheated the lights went out. I put a mopar unit in her car, and a shiny looking junkyard piece in my truck. Never had a problem again. I wasn't real happy, seeing how I am an employee of the O.
RumbleFish
14mm rotor

Postby ellis93 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm

Bummers....I guess I'll cross some appendages on me and hope for the best then :lol:
ellis93
14mm rotor

Postby 12V93 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:38 am

I have to fidle (for lack of a better word) with mine to get the dash lights to come on. The rest of the lights come on fine (now). If i put pressure inword (to the right) while pulling the switch out they come on. If you pull straight or pres outward everything turns on but the dash. I hate to put a used switch in (that is if I can evan find one around hear) as most of them will have more miles (usage) than mine has. I wonder if Dodge/Mopar still sells them?
12V93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby JimmieD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:57 am

I have 'fixed' a few of the older 60's & 70's headlight switches, doubt the newer ones are any different design? On the older switches: you pull out the knob all the way and press in on a button on bottom of switch to pull knob and shaft out of switch body. Sometimes have to fight it a bit to get it to cooperate! Then loosen chrome nut and spin it off so you can shove switch body through and out the back side of dashboard mounting.

You can then access the guts of the switch by removing multi-wire connector and gently bending some fold-over tabs on switch body and prying loose the fiberboard cover. Various types of specialty electrical contact cleaners, or a piece of fine emery paper or fine file plus contact cleaner to wash it out may be used to clean contacts.

The dash lights are controlled by a rheostat which is a wound wire coil that wraps around in a circle at back or front end of switch, with a wiper arm controlled by switch knob and shaft. Twist knob left for brighter lights, right for dimmer lights. This rotates the wiper arm around on the wire coil, allowing more or less voltage to be transmitted through rheostat coil and wiring to dash lights.

I've cleaned the rheostat coil and wiper arm for better conductivity, again with fine emery paper and spray electrical contact cleaner. Also the wiper arm may have lost spring tension somewhat and it's sometimes possible to give a gentle bend with a small needle nose pliers or hemostat etc. You're wanting to make the arm press harder on the wire coil. Most of this is pretty obvious when you get in there to take a look.

On the side of switch where fiber board cover is, the wires connect with a single large plastic or rubber connector to indivdual connectors sticking out of switch. May be necessary to use whatever tools you can to tighten the grip of that plastic multi-wire connector's individual female terminals onto switch's male spade terminals, again obvious when you look at it.

The dash light bulbs themselves are a push/twist plastic bulb body. Sometimes these can loosen or the contacts can be bent or dirty. Cleaning or replacement works there.
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 12V93 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:47 am

Thanks JimmieD
I will be pulling it this afternoon, trying to leave for work today I had issues getting inside and then head lights. I got them working and headed to work. Once I got to work I could not shut the dash lights and park lights off so I disconected the neg on the battery. The switch seemed warm...
12V93
fuel screw!!!!

Postby 12V93 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 am

Swapped it out, the old one had loose connectors.
I opened up the dash and worked on the glow plug light issue.
Ended up being two broken pins, so I pulled them from the connector and re-attached them to the board.
12V93
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical