Cruise to work on a manual swap

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Cruise to work on a manual swap

Postby brandonmgreer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:08 pm

:?: I bought a 92 been swapped from auto to manual. All of the cruise components seem to be there under the hood and the buttons on the wheel. I'm sure I need to install a neutral safety switch because you don't have to push the clutch to start it.

How big a PITA is this or is it as simple as wiring around it? Does it go through the "ECM" with the electric pickup on the speedo... guess I need to fix that too, speedo no worky. Everything there is plugged in... how do you test this or what is the most common reason they dont work?

Lots of questions, but new to these trucks and somehow I have 2 now... Thanks in advance. Folks on this forum are knowledgeable and don't have head-up-sphinctor syndrome!
brandonmgreer
fuel screw!!!!

Re: Cruise to work on a manual swap

Postby PToombs » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Just get the speedo working and it should be set. If everything is there from it being an auto then the speedo is most likely why it doesn't work. The cruise doesn't go thru the neutral safety switch on auto or manual.
I had a non cruise truck, I put in a tilt wheel with cruise and added a few wires in the cab. Outside the harness was already wired for it. I put in the servo mechanism, it works great.
Get the speedo fixed and go from there. As for fixing it, check the connections, pull the transducer off and turn the back wheels and make sure the drive is turning. Sometimes the drive strips or the transducer is bad. Another thing is if they swapped the drive from another trans and it's not clocked correctly the gears won't mesh and it won't turn. Found that out when I replaced the transducer on my '97. :oops:
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby brandonmgreer » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:16 pm

Ten 4. will start there and see where it goes... don't know if i'll have much of a chance to mess with it before I leave town for work, but if I run into problems, I do know where to go for help!
White/black 92 D250 manual conversion, Pump tweaking is about it right now...
95 CCLB 4X4 5 speed being but back together from a wreck
99 Kenworth W900 flat top, Tuned 500 Detroit, BW 75mm 1.32A/R, 5915 injectors, 13 speed, 3.55's
brandonmgreer
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 pm

After you fix the speedo. Most likely the CC still won't work. Sounds like someone grounded the netural safety wire during the swap. Find that wire and run it to the clutch pedal switch. Then come off the other terminal of the switch to a known good ground.

If your PCM sees a grounded netural circuit. It thinks your in netural or park so you don't need CC. The only time you want that circuit grounded is to start the truck.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby PToombs » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:21 pm

Good one Philip, that slipped by me. :oops:

Or he can put it on a switch so it's grounded to start, then opens. Better to have it work right in case somebody else drives the truck though. Lots of liability issues if you run over somebody starting it. ;)
pete

Just enough power to break everything behind the crankshaft.
PToombs
14mm rotor

Postby brandonmgreer » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:47 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Where do I find this wire for the neutral safety switch?
White/black 92 D250 manual conversion, Pump tweaking is about it right now...
95 CCLB 4X4 5 speed being but back together from a wreck
99 Kenworth W900 flat top, Tuned 500 Detroit, BW 75mm 1.32A/R, 5915 injectors, 13 speed, 3.55's
brandonmgreer
fuel screw!!!!

Postby Philip » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Go under the truck and look for a wire grounded some where around the trans most likely.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical