truck wont accelerate and it wont restart with key

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

truck wont accelerate and it wont restart with key

Postby jmd4993 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:28 am

i just finished buttoning up my getrag swap last night. i went to drive it this morning but it wouldnt accelerate even when i floored it. then eventually it started sputtering and it wouldnt go over 5mph and then it died. the battery has 12.6 volts and now my key wont start the truck. i have been dealing with a charging issue so i installed an external regulator and when i tested it it was at 14volts but when i gave it gas it climbed to over 17 volts. im guessing thats too much. then last night when i started my truck drove it for the first time last night i pulled out of the drive way and took off in first and my head lights blew out.

this is my first cummins so im learning as i go. i just want to finally be able to drive my truck its been down for two weeks now. i have the tranny done but the electrical issue just wont stop.

Re: truck wont accelerate and it wont restart with key

Postby JimmieD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Like my other reply to your other post: need more info. What year & model truck? What trans before Getrag install? Did you change anything else when installing trans? Did you have any charging problems before installing trans? Are you sure you used the correct voltage regulator and that you installed it correctly?

Are you getting fuel to filter? To lift pump? To injection pump? To injectors? Was the truck running good before the trans swap? Did you check the rest of the charging system before installing external voltage regulator? Battery age and condition? What is the general electrical condition like wires and connectors?
1967 Dodge D-100 Town Wagon - CPL 858 4BT, HTT Stage II/H1C 16cm/56cm turbo, '93 CTD I/C, 32K spring, minor fuel tweaks, milled head, NV4500, 1 ton springs, '72 D-200 Frt. axle w/ Air Lift bags, 4.10 Dana 60HD, F/R swaybars, Tom Woods shaft.

'90 W-350 gasser...
JimmieD
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical