Problems after External Voltage Regulator install. Help!

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

Problems after External Voltage Regulator install. Help!

Postby fatcamp » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:44 pm

I wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for their help. I know I'm new to the forum and I haven't even had a chance to fill out all my personal information but I will get to that as soon as I can. The troubles I'm having came after I wired in a new External Regulator because I thought I was having issues with the PCM. My truck is a 1992 W250 with the 5.9 Cummins. I followed several sets of instructions I found on this site and a few others and I believe to the best of my abilities that I have it wired correctly. The issue is that when I start it up and let it run the check engine light stays on and the lights dim. I can hear what sounds and feels like a large relay tripping on the drivers side near the firewall or inside fender and the dimming coincides with this relay. Also (not that they're accurate) the voltage indicator on the dash will move up and down with the lights so I believe it's system wide. When I left the truck sitting outside for about 15 minutes I noticed that it had quit acting up so I tried to pull forward and all of my lights went out instantly. I can't post photos because my truck is sitting outside in -40 degree weather (oh the joys of Alaska). If anyone can shed some light on this problem let me know please. Thanks again.
fatcamp
smoke screw?

Re: Problems after External Voltage Regulator install. Help!

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:41 am

The voltage swings you are seeing are the grid heaters working properly. The relays you hear kicking on and off are for the grid heaters. Thats normal operation in cold weather.
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby fatcamp » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 am

I'm sorry to be ignorant but this is my first diesel and I have no idea what a grid heater is. Is that what Cummins used to replace glow plugs? That's great if that's the case but that still doesn't solve the check engine light and the fact that when I tried to move the truck died. Any insight into that? Thanks Philip!
fatcamp
smoke screw?

Postby Philip » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Cummins used grid heaters instead of trouble prone glow plugs. Its a more robust system.

For the check engine light. Cycle thekey on/off/on/off/on. The check engine light will start to flash. Count the flashes. Each code will be a two digit number. So watch for a pause in the flashes. Post the codes.

Check engine light will not kill the engine. All the PCM controls is A/C, Alt, OD, grid heater, tach
93 W350 Club/cab w/duals, buckets & console, B&W flatbed, G56, 6 spd, 3:07 rears, gages, HX40/16, 4" exhaust, 6X.018 sticks, rear air ride suspension
Philip
14mm rotor

Postby cougar » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:46 am

The check engine light is on because you bypassed the internal regulator. It is expecting to see a voltage from the field which is no longer there. I know of no good way to "fool" the PCM, so I opted to remove the light bulb.
RIP 91.5 W250 5 speed. The great experiment.
92 W250 HD 47RH with Compushift. Upgraded H1C to 62/60/16, Scheid Lightning VE, 60# valve springs, DAP 7X.010 injectors, 4" DE exhaust, home made cooler tubes.
01 2500 "the work truck".
cougar
14mm rotor

Postby Tacoclaw » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:05 pm

When you say all your lights went out, does that mean headlights as well? Do the brake lights still work? Hazard flashers?

If the above still work in going to assume you had a short in your key-on wiring somewhere. Does your truck have a pull cable to shut off?
1990 W250 4x4
Rattles, growls, whistles, and whines.
Tacoclaw
14mm rotor

Return to Electrical