New member Electrical questions ideas

Does it have spark? And other questions...

Moderators: Greenleaf, BC847, Richie O

New member Electrical questions ideas

Postby spookie007 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 am

Hi I am new yet have been owner for sometime. I want to thank the management who put this together for making such an informative place to find answers... I have an 1989 W250 the previous owners where not gentle with it but it has less than 200000 miles on it and some of the basics have been taken care of... Since I have owned it I have replaced a lot of parts New Borgenson steering, Alternator, Fan Clutch, belts , power steering, and a lot of small things... The problem I am having is parts, an 1989 seems to be the rarest for parts and some of the parts are only found on 89s. The electrical system needs completely redone, I am finding corrosion and decay every where, no complete wire harness available and 89s have a lot of differences. I have been chasing a .19 millamp current draw with a fox and hound and other ways and have it isolated between the fusebox and the fuse links, it is appearing to be in the 50 pin plug or near there which includes the pcm .... Frustrated is an understatement, I have been seriously thinking of simplifying everything and eliminating everything i can that doesn't have a need for basic truck operation. Most of the gremlins are related to the truck not the running gear or engine. Has anyone on here done this, I want a basic truck that works. eliminate pcm, abs, power windows and locks, ac out and replacing it with combo air compressor and hydraulic pump, complete dash replacement including all gauges, manual shut off, and anything else that requires special parts that are getting harder and harder to find... I have read lots of posts from different places about doing all of these things but has anyone done them all...
spookie007
smoke screw?

Re: New member Electrical questions ideas

Postby simplysmn » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:02 pm

Well ABS is simple bypass the line on frame and disconnect the box behind glovebox take out ecm well being that you don't have a Overdrive I don't think the 89's had a ecm ? charging is external and that's about all you need but to be honest part's are not hard to find you just have to search for thing's there are Plenty of truck's out there being parted out .
simplysmn
fuel screw!!!!

Re: New member Electrical questions ideas

Postby coodah » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:58 pm

I have a 90 that gave me similar issues when I first bought it. I ended up pulling the entire harness out from under the dash and used a doner harness out of a gasser to repair it. Found out I had some melted wires inside the plastic lume and under the tape. It wasn't hard to repair you just have to replace one wire at a time. My ghost were like pushing in the cigar lighter and the interior lights would come on. I soldered everything I repaired as I hate wire nuts. You may need to buy a tool to remove the connectors from the terminal blocks, I bought mine from Karr Products. Never had a problem since and that has been 3 years ago.
90 W350 Cab-Chassis Truck, 5 spd, 93 W250 CC 5spd
coodah
fuel screw!!!!

Return to Electrical